We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Computer Run Shortwave  (Read 3746 times)

Offline mysticstar

• North Carolina
  • "De Oppresso Liber"
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Computer Run Shortwave
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 1547 UTC »
So does an SDR Play have the ability to interface with decoding? As I said before, I am still learning about the new software driven decoders verses the ones I am used to also referred as TNC's (PakRat PK-232, etc.) Will I still be able to decode?
RCVR: AIRSPY HF+
XMTR: Kenwood TH-K2 Handheld
ANT: Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper
KD8OPV   KDE3BG :)

Offline n3umw

• Germantown, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 1757 UTC »
You may want to hold onto your Icom if you use it as a VHF/UHF scanner. I have not run across any good SDR scanning software that lets you save specific scan frequencies. You'll probably need an RS-232 to USB adapter.
RX: Afedri SDR-net, WJ-8711, Lowe HF-150, RSPduo, AirSpy HF+
TX: Icom IC-718
ANT: W2PM Mini-diamond,  KK5JY LoG, 9:1 23' UNUN
AUDIO: Kenwood HS-5 communication head phones
QTH: Germantown, MD USA

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 1831 UTC »
So does an SDR Play have the ability to interface with decoding? As I said before, I am still learning about the new software driven decoders verses the ones I am used to also referred as TNC's (PakRat PK-232, etc.) Will I still be able to decode?

The SDRPlay products can send audio or an iq stream to a decoder, no problem there. I doubt if any of the high dollar decoders will ever directly support the RSP line as they're just not in use to any number in mil/int/diplo services.

Any rig that can produce audio can be used with decoders, as long as it hears the freq in question and has a demodulator for the mode. Not too many folks use tncs anymore save for the pactor iv guys. I miss my old pk232, the saim function was neat until I realised it would only id sigs that it was programmed to, nowadays some decoders offer classification of signals, feed it a sig and it'll tell you if it's psk, fsk, shift, baudrate, etc etc. The one area where a tnc shines over a pc based decoder is in the latency war, hardware modems like the pk232 and the military modems have superior timing capability compared to a pc. This can be important in certain modes that do not tolerate varying latency, and here I'm talking about microseconds and milliseconds.

Back when I got started in decoding and "serious" swling there wasn't much of an innernet and no remote sdrs to play with, today you can remote into sdrs located around the world. I suggest using some remote sdrs to get an idea as to how they operate before plunking down the cash. I also find it nice to have a rig that can hear the band without needing a pc running, so don't sell your table top rig to get an sdr.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 1840 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline mysticstar

• North Carolina
  • "De Oppresso Liber"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 1755 UTC »
Hey N3UMW, how do you like your SDR play2? Is it everything you expected it to be. I saw your graphic and it reminded me of the older days that Philadelphia Electric used something similar. It's great!
RCVR: AIRSPY HF+
XMTR: Kenwood TH-K2 Handheld
ANT: Alpha Delta DX-SWL Sloper
KD8OPV   KDE3BG :)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns