We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WBCQ Area 51 - 5110 AM - KIPM Arecibo Alpha 1  (Read 3167 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
WBCQ Area 51 - 5110 AM - KIPM Arecibo Alpha 1
« on: May 08, 2011, 0708 UTC »
5/8/11
5110 AM
0235-0300z: I missed opening (was tuning around the funny bands between 6900-7000) but guessed this was a classic KIPM episode due to the brilliant weirdness.  Entire episode consisted of a reasonably persuasive sounding military or government QSO, with fairly long pauses between contacts, very closely mimicking typical formal protocol, concerning apparent contact with unexplained radio signals from beyond Earth.  Closed with extended CW which was wasted on me since I can't copy CW by ear.

If I'd never heard a KIPM episode before this would have been baffling.  The giveaways were the AM mode (rather than more common USB for official comms) and a few references to 6955 kHz when this relay was on 5110 AM.  Both parties to the QSO did a good job of mimicking the terse nature of official communications.  After a few minutes I recognized Alan Maxwell's distinctive voice, although I'd probably have been fooled if I'd never heard a KIPM episode before.

I'd never heard this particular KIPM episode on air before so it was a real treat to hear it while sitting outdoors with the Sony 2010 portable and a beer, enjoying the balmy spring night.  Alan, wherever you are, well done, sir!  And thanks to the folks at Area 51 for these relays of classic shows, including the William Cooper HOTT show that followed after 0300z.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Fansome

Re: WBCQ Area 51 - 5110 AM - KIPM Arecibo Alpha 1
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 2042 UTC »
As I recall, when this first aired it resulted in a number of rather panicky calls to the Art Bell show that night, from hams and DXers worried that they were witnessing an alien invasion.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 1255 UTC »
It didn't hurt that it was broadcast on that 40 meter Shuttle relay frequency beginning just before midnight on December 31,1999. Bell dropped his guest to air it live,something that he later denied,before someone wised him up to what it was.

Greatest pirate radio hoax of all time,IMO.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 0259 UTC »
...Bell dropped his guest to air it live,something that he later denied,before someone wised him up to what it was.

Greatest pirate radio hoax of all time,IMO.

Awesome.  Good to know George Noory has been vindicated... sorta.  One of the funniest pranks I've heard was pulled on Noory, I think in January 2008.  A caller identifying himself as Gordon Freeman described an odd encounter with a "G-man", one of the men-in-black types.  It was a hoax based on the Half-Life video game.  George caught a lot of sarcasm over that.  Interesting to know that Art Bell was pranked too.  I wonder if there's a recording of that incident?  The C2C Half-Life prank audio is on YouTube and elsewhere online.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline stevechisox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 1639 UTC »
Would love to find this online somewhere. If anyone knows please point me too it.