We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Guinée 9650 AM 2115 UTC 10 Nov 2018  (Read 919 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Radio Guinée 9650 AM 2115 UTC 10 Nov 2018
« on: November 12, 2018, 0002 UTC »
The past two weeks or so, I've noticed what I assumed was Radio Guinée coming in relatively strong during about a two-hour window in the afternoon here, despite Voice of Korea having a weak presence on that frequency at times.

The French speaking and Afropop music seemed proof enough, but I could never clearly hear an ID (they speak French so fast and with a dialect that seems a bit off from the French classes I took more than 25 years ago). Finally, I found the station's online stream (rtgkoloma.info) on Saturday and compared it to what I was hearing and, voila, it was the same and I finally caught an ID.

A good signal, almost loud at the peaks, but there also was noise and noticeable fading, especially after 2230 UTC. I listened on and off over the next hour or so until the signal suddenly disappeared into the noise at 2346 UTC. Great music!
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Radio Guinée 9650 AM 2115 UTC 10 Nov 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 0038 UTC »
The signal likely went QRT. Radio Guinea likes to pull the plug at random times, despite the schedule saying that they're supposed to be on until midnight UTC. I've gotten it pretty well the past couple of days myself.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Re: Radio Guinée 9650 AM 2115 UTC 10 Nov 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 0146 UTC »
I was wondering out that, because the signal didn't fade out like the propagation window had closed here; it just disappeared all together. It was only 15 minutes or so before the scheduled end of the station's broadcast day, so I guess they figured ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

Anyway, Guinea is country No. 51 logged for me since I returned to shortwave listening in July.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns