We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ok gnomes time to step up to the plate  (Read 2924 times)

Newfoundland DXer

ok gnomes time to step up to the plate
« on: May 24, 2011, 0133 UTC »
It is starting to look like HFU will be the primary site for pirate radio for the next while, maybe a day, maybe for the future.  (No gloating here ... the way it has happened is absolutely horrible.)

But pirate radio goes on.  How can we help fill the void?  Personally, I will try to post every pirate I hear to the loggings section.

Chat reports and email reports to ops are great, but they leave no permanent record.  Public loggings are (in my opinion) not just who hears what, they are a record of the entire pirate scene.  Plus, these guys take a real risk just for our entertainment.  They deserve a public acknowledgement.

Just as imprtantly, logs are what draws new listeners.  Without them, pirate radio becomes a deeply submerged subculture where only "thse who know where to look and lurk" can discover how truely active and entertaining it is.

Hell, under the circumstances, I'm even willing to log Bunny and the Krackman (provided they are not using the "p" word).

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers, Terry

Offline Northern Relay Service

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ok gnomes time to step up to the plate
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 1350 UTC »
From what I've seen of the HFU this site is more than up to the task ! To boot most have had their rabies shots too. :o

Doc John

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 1358 UTC »
Totally apart from the perceptions of conflicts between "rival" sites - which seems mostly manufactured by one party for the sake of generating drama - this is probably a good opportunity to consider bringing the FRN into the 21st century.  A more contemporary and robust platform would be a good first step.  Using co-location hosting is another, to minimize downtime.  (Credit to corq for these tips - I just swiped 'em from her.)

As for loggings, I'll just do what I've done for the past few years - post logs where they're welcomed and not deleted or screened out to suit anyone's personal agenda.  That includes logging stations and programs that I may not find agreeable.  But if I hear 'em, I'll log 'em.  I've never kept conventional log books at home and don't even pursue QSL cards very often, although I'm grateful to receive them.  My only interest in logging stations heard to public boards such as the FRN and HFU is to assist and encourage any and all free radio broadcasters and programmers.

Warning: Here be tedious rants.   >:(
Frankly I was disappointed to see that the Free Radio Weekly e-mail list omitted my logs for Northern Relay Service shows during late February-March this year.  Meanwhile my logs for other stations were included, and as this occurred more than once these omissions gave the impression that those NRS logs were selectively screened out.  It appeared that the FRW bowed to political pressure (specifically, from Commander Bunny publicly and privately asking listeners to ignore and not log Northern Relay Service) and wasn't neutral.  More recently I've seen one or two loggings from NRS from other listeners, so presumably the FRW is no longer screening out those logs.

Likewise I was willing to participate on the FRN as an objective logger for as long as that type of participation was welcomed there.  But when my logs - and those of Andrew Yoder - for Northern Relay Service were deleted by someone with FRN admin or mod access in March this year, I couldn't in good conscience continue to participate in partisan shenanigans.  Since then I've seen other threads revised to alter context or deleted entirely, which undermines the value of the FRN as a database or reference site.

Before the FRN went down over the weekend, Commander Bunny had claimed:
I SHUT DOWN THE HF UNDERPANTS!
Originally posted by Commander Bunny:
Oh, and try posting a link to FRN on HF Underpants and see how long that stays up. 
Commander Bunny

His claim is inaccurate.  There are several links back to the FRN in the HFU loggings sections, and I routinely link back to the FRN in HFU wiki articles I write about the pirate scene.  The FRN is a valuable reference resource, but only insofar as it is as neutral as possible and referenced links are not subject to revisions and deletions that break links or alter the integrity of the material being referenced.

It will take more than a change to a phpBB or similarly contemporary and stable platform, and co-location hosting, to resolve the inherent problems that give the impression than the FRN has become more of a clique fansite than a neutral ground for discussing free radio and logging of any and all stations heard without bias.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 1427 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Northern Relay Service

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 1636 UTC »
"I was disappointed to see that the Free Radio Weekly e-mail list omitted my logs for Northern Relay Service shows during late February-March this year."

I am sad to hear this but not surprised.

There are lots of great people on the FRN but until there is a change in management The Free Radio Network is anything but FREE. I have written it completely off as a non biased organization of free thinkers . They are there ,but generally shouted over by certain tyrants running "FREE RADIO" Much like the great news corporations of America and the world,writing the truth as they see fit to benefit themselves ,or in ABC/ Fox/CBS/NBC/BBC /CBC /CTV  news style to benefit the shareholders,or political agenda.

The FRN admin has forgotten why it is there ,and frankly has become nothing more than a sanctuary for the Church Of Bob,anarchists who believe Anarchy should rule the air,and really don't give a flying F%$# about free speech ,only gooblygook , pot,and the entertainment factor.

I'm just a nutty as the next pirate operator ,but respecting others should be observed at all times whether you like what they say or not.

I vote with my money and if a company does not follow certain moral codes they don't get my money. I apply the same ethic to the internet. I don't use facebook ,twitter,etc etc ,because there motives are contradictory to my well being ,I class the FRN as among that list until new management changes it's policy on what "FREE" means.

Offline cosmikdebris

• View Profile
    • Radio Free Mount Airy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 1820 UTC »
The frn site is back online as I write this (2:15 pm eastern time on Tuesday, May 24).

I am not going to directly comment on the "drama" cited below. I have always tried to avoid such issues and strive to keep open and improve the lines of communication in this hobby. The frn is a cooperative venture and is not managed or controlled by any one single entity.

Regards,

Lw

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 0121 UTC »
The frn is a cooperative venture and is not managed or controlled by any one single entity.

Regards,

Lw

Here they are having a meeting:   http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7T-Ezm4wjMI/TbIcXOdmEFI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/iipMlm6nOys/s1600/last-sockpuppet-supper_01.jpg

Offline cosmikdebris

• View Profile
    • Radio Free Mount Airy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 1249 UTC »
The frn is a cooperative venture and is not managed or controlled by any one single entity.

Regards,

Lw

Here they are having a meeting:   http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7T-Ezm4wjMI/TbIcXOdmEFI/AAAAAAAAAXQ/iipMlm6nOys/s1600/last-sockpuppet-supper_01.jpg

Thanks for that; I really appreciated it. I come over to this board and attempt to engage in reasonable discussion and I am accused of being a sock puppet. Why don't you go fuck yourself?

<plonk>
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 1629 UTC by cosmikdebris »