We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Reverse-Polarity Sunspot Group Does Not Belong to Cycle 25, Observatory Says  (Read 3603 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
The Royal Observatory of Belgium’s Solar-Terrestrial Centre of Excellence (STCE) has asserted that the reverse polarity sunspot group 2720 observed in late August belongs to the current solar cycle — Cycle 24 — and does not represent the start of Cycle 25.

“Because of its reversed polarity, some websites claimed sunspot group 2720 was possibly one of the first groups of new solar Cycle 25,” the Centre said. “This is simply not true, in view of its very low 8° latitude. The next solar Cycle 25 sunspot group should have both reversed magnetic polarity and much higher heliographic latitude, typically 20° to 40° from the equator. Only two tiny, short-lived numbered sunspot groups are currently assigned to new solar Cycle 25, sunspot group 2620 in December 2016 and 2694 in January 2018.”

http://www.arrl.org/news/reverse-polarity-sunspot-group-does-not-belong-to-cycle-25-observatory-says
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
The same weekend of sunspot group 2720, a radio blackout lasting about a day took place, affecting the HF amateur bands as well as GPS systems

Guess that's why I had problems acquiring GPS satellites on my phone and marine HT back then. Thought it was just my stupid phone being stupid.

LORAN-C ... how I miss you.  :'(

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 2248 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
The same weekend of sunspot group 2720, a radio blackout lasting about a day took place, affecting the HF amateur bands as well as GPS systems

Guess that's why I had problems acquiring GPS satellites on my phone and marine HT back then. Thought it was just my stupid phone being stupid.

LORAN-C ... how I miss you.  :'(

You need one of the Android phones with built in LORAN:

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
"Though the amount of data we have compared to our star's lifespan is basically zero, so it's hard to tell."
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Ephemeral sunspot from the next solar cycle materialized over the weekend as per http://spaceweather.com/
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns