We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Unid Time Station - 10 MHz  (Read 3057 times)

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Unid Time Station - 10 MHz
« on: November 19, 2018, 2204 UTC »
I am hearing a station on 10 MHz, under WWV, at 2153Z.  There are voice announcements every 10 seconds, with a beep between the announcements.  After the last announcement, there is a double (or perhaps a triple beep because WWV has their own beep which could mask the last one) to mark the new minute and the cycle continues.

I don't recognize the language -- maybe French, but I am not sure.  I think they are announcing the time.

Any idea on which time station this may be?  I know BPM China, and time stations in Brazil and Argentina are also on 10 MHz.  I have not heard an ID.

Steve

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Unid Time Station - 10 MHz
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 2342 UTC »
Brazil's OBSERVATORIO NACIONAL identifies every 10 seconds, and Portuguese can sound a bit like French, so I'd say that that's the one.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Re: Unid Time Station - 10 MHz
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 0057 UTC »
Thanks!  I've heard this station multiple times this week.

Not many time stations left on HF -- some of the ones I heard decades ago (VNG, JJY, etc) have left HF completely.  I hope WWV doesn't join that sad list.

Steve

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns