We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What kind of build and output do YOU want to see?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
What kind of build and output do YOU want to see?
« on: November 19, 2018, 2344 UTC »
Lots of talk about 200-400 watt designs but I imagine most everyone would not want to run this as it is practically asking for the knock or a nice arcing fireball when something goes wrong.  I know what I like and what I would like to have exist.  I'd like a grenade type design.  It is easy to build with basic electronic knowledge and gets out nicely with a good dipole.  What I would like is for more than a sub 10 watt carrier with 20 max PEP.  Maybe double this while still using 12-15 volts.  And without the obsolete 270-030 which is increasingly hard to find.  That is the only problem part with this solid design.  I don't know if this would be a laughable request, like maybe the design is already maxxed out at 10 watts, but it is what I'd be willing to spend some $ on with schematic and just my nice multimeter.  Yeah I know there are Dave M designs that may kind of fit the bill but I have never been able to get one of them to work well.  Either not at all or with terrible audio.  Grenade works first time every time and can be tweaked up a couple watts maybe by experimenting with filter caps.  So what do you all want to see?

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What kind of build and output do YOU want to see?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 0229 UTC »
Per the other thread, different needs for different ops.  Yes running high power from a fixed location on a regular schedule is dangerous, that's why I don't do it.  With the down turn in propagation across the board, you need either lower frequencies or higher power...maybe both.

I think an honest 20-50 watts carrier with clean 100% modulation would be great in something the size of a lunchbox or less, and for those folks, the stretchy box should work nicely.  If you want to build your own, layout becomes half the battle.  Maybe we could sell circuit boards with a list of parts and you build it?  That would be the cheap way.

I've never tested a grenade, but I have been inside a corsair and was less than impressed with the quality of the modulation, lots of non-linearity.  Granted I'm used to working around real gear with professional specs, but its 2018, I think we can do better ;)

+-RH

P.S. Yay me...1K posts!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 0236 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 2214 UTC »
Moof, you ask a question already answered.

Stop concerning yourself with unobtainable parts (why do people do this?????)

Transformers, laminations and bobbins are available from every transformer manufacturer in the world and very easy to obtain, free even, just ask for a sample. They'll wind whatever you want for a price but simple to wind your own.

Tx design wise, use a Lulu as its simply the best and uses readily available parts.

10W carrier with 12V and IRL520
40W carrier with 24V and TPH3206PS.

I've been banging on about this for years.

As RH can confirm!

Where have you been?

What more can I say?

;)

Str.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 2226 UTC by Stretchyman »
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 1115 UTC »
Moof, you ask a question already answered.

Stop concerning yourself with unobtainable parts (why do people do this?????)

Where have you been?

What more can I say?

;)

Str.

The purpose of this board is for members to share their RF design techniques, as well as ask questions. Multiple philosophies are welcome, there's no one right answer.  Let's also try to keep things civil. Thanks.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns