We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: Japan Radio JRC NRD-545 Shortwave Radio DSP AM SSB CW Receiver  (Read 353 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
After about 15 years of gentle use in a non smoking environment, I am selling my JRC NRD-545 professional communications receiver. It is in great condition, with just a few of the expected wear and tear scuffs. I've used this receiver to make a lot of my amazing catches over the years.

The NRD-545 uses DSP to detect all modes including LSB, USB, CW, RTTY, FM, AM and ECSS. The ECSS (effectively synchronous AM mode) works extremely well, and I generally used it whenever listening to AM mode.  The NRD-545 can even decode Motorola C-Quam AM stereo.

1000 Memories store:  frequency, mode, bandwidth, ATT, AGC and step.

The pass bandwidth is continuously adjustable from 10 Hz to 9.9 kHz in 10 Hz steps.

The Pass-Band Shift (PBS) can be adjusted upward or downward in the variable range of 2.3 kHz (in 50 Hz steps).

There is the expected Noise Reduction, Noise Blanker, and Beat Canceller.

The Notch Filter is adjustable within 2.5 kHz in 10 Hz steps. The Notch follows in the range of 10 kHz even when the tuning dial is rotated.

The AGC is continuously adjustable between 0.04 and 5.1 seconds in 20 msec. steps in all modes except FM, AM and AMS.

The radio has the CGD-197 high stability TXCO oscillator (already installed when I got the radio) which improves stability to 0.5 PPM. I am including the box for the module as it comes with the very difficult to find tools used to safely remove the plug in boards from the radio, should you wish to do so.

Included with the radio is the operators manual, original box, and AC power cord (I think it is the original AC cord, but after 15 years I cannot say for sure).

The radio does not come with the CHE-199 VHF/UHF converter module, but I do have one for sale separately. No DC power cord is included.

$1899. Please contact me via private message or email for further information. 

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 2207 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
NRD 545 / netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 670 ft horizontal loop / 500 ft northeast beverage / 270 ft west-south-west beverage / 300 ft south beverage / 43m / 20m / 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop