We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What's up with the sunspots?  (Read 2694 times)

Offline W4JBM

• Bowdon Junction, GA (33.6581,-85.1249 EM73)
    • View Profile
    • W4JBM Website
    • Email
What's up with the sunspots?
« on: June 15, 2011, 1212 UTC »
I haven't had time to do much listening to HF over the past year. Over the weekend I got the station cleaned out and working. My homebrew active antenna (which was my best performer from LF up to 7 or 8 MHz) is broke and I need to rebuild it. I'm using my multiband vertical which is decent through most of the HF band. But so far, not a single PiFER beacon. Also no Russian Letter beacons which use to be regulars.

Came across this article on sunspot activity:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/14/ice_age/

I've read a couple of things about this, but the graph in this article shows a pretty clear trend. Hope it's wrong because if it's right we might not have any great HF conditions again in my lifetime. Twenty years ago, it was all about the coming ice age. Then it was all about global warming. Now they are talking about a mini-ice age. Hopefully they are wrong (yet again) and propagation will pick up again.

Jim
73 de
Jim W4JBM

Receiver - Ten Tec RX320D
Antenna - Butternut Vertical (SW) and mini-whip (LF)
Location - Bowdon Junction, GA  USA (33.6581,-85.1249 EM73)

http://www.hamuniverse.com/w4jbm/

"With a soldering iron in one hand, a schematic in the other, and a puzzled look on his face..."

cmradio

Re: What's up with the sunspots?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 0339 UTC »
We should petition the HAARP people to light up the ionosphere for us SWL'ers ;D

Peace!

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 0313 UTC »
We should petition the HAARP people to light up the ionosphere for us SWL'ers ;D

Peace!

Or, petition Japan/TEPCO to release more radioactive materials ... "ionizing radiation" - that will excite the ionosphere too ...

My thinking is that some of our enhanced propagation was due to prior releases at the Fukushima Daiichi facility.

Open air nuclear testing in the 50's - 60's contributed to enhanced propagation (long term effects; in the short term propagation from a nuclear detonation can degrade propagation) back too, a facet little discussed in most circles.

Various materials released have a variety of half lives, from weeks to months to years to centuries ... as these decay, they too can 'ionize' air molecules in the ionosphere much like solar effects can.

Fukushima Daiichi disaster:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disaster

Effects by High-Altitude Nuclear Tests on HF Communications (The last page briefly mentions "long term effects".)
http://blockyourid.com/~gbpprorg/mil/herf/CQ-Nuclear_Explosions_On_HF_Comms.pdf

Other documented effects by open-air nuclear tests:
http://www.geophysica.fi/pdf/geophysica_1965_9_2_119_oksman.pdf

o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 2156 UTC »
The major cause of the excellent propagation during the 50s was Solar Cycle 19 - the largest on record. Meanwhile we seem to be in one of the weaker cycles right now, and some of the forecasts for Cycle 25 don't seem very promising at all.

Compared to the Sun, ionization due to fallout from Fukeshima simply isn't a factor. Plus the fallout is mostly in the lower atmosphere, and gets washed out by rain fairly quickly (which is one reason we're not seeing much of it here in the USA).

High altitude nuclear tests produced very short term effects on the ionosphere, but through an entirely different mechanism.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline The Hokie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 1451 UTC »

Peace!

With the recent earthquake and hurricane?

It'd be tinfoil-hat overload :D
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 1950 UTC »
George Noory would be swearing it was the coming of the end of the Mayan Calendar,they were just a year out.

Didn't the Soviets have an enrichment plant blow in the Urals around 1954?

Offline The Hokie

• View Profile
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry