We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Bollywood on Long Island  (Read 1323 times)

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bollywood on Long Island
« on: December 06, 2018, 2128 UTC »

So, on December 3 WLIE 540am became WBWD (Bolly 540 am).  Coming in perfectly across the Sound into southern New England.  I believe this is New York's first East Asian formatted station.  Now I'll be impressed if we get play by play of the India Premier League and India Institute of Technology squash scores.

https://bolly540am.com.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Bollywood on Long Island
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 0334 UTC »
I've been known to hit the Indian and Pakistani cricket boards. There's just enough knowledge of English for it to be the primary language of 90% of the boards. The insults are inventive, to say the least. It's some of the funniest stuff I've ever read.

Offline OZDXer

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bollywood on Long Island
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 2255 UTC »
I used to listen to cricket from Radio Pakistan in the 1980's.

Urdu for 'silly mid-on' is 'silly mid-on' :)

I'll give WBWD a listen.  Sounds very much like or Radio Brisvaani on 1701 or Radio Haanji on 1674.
eQSL's welcome !  david667@optusnet.com.au

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns