We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID - Military testing? 6930 USB 01:14z - 01:16z  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
UNID - Military testing? 6930 USB 01:14z - 01:16z
« on: June 24, 2011, 1302 UTC »
Caught this last night tuning around originally on 6930 USB & then tuned down to 6929.8 for better copy on the voice comms - strange tone repeatedly being transmitted for a few seconds with what sounds like a QSO following in between.  The QSO part may not have anything to do with whoever is transmitting the tones, but have not heard this before on this frequency.  Most of the voice comms was hard to make out, but at one point could clearly hear a numerical value given.

Audio(01:14z-01:16z): https://www.yousendit.com/download/MFo0ck93Mm03N0JFQlE9PQ
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID - Military testing? 6930 USB 01:14z - 01:16z
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 1638 UTC »
That is a real different sound and I haven't heard exactly that before.
If you catch it during stronger sin gals perhaps some quick
analysis will point you to the emission type or at least its nature.

Was that an English accent I heard?

Thanks for sharing-
 ???

Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
Re: UNID - Military testing? 6930 USB 01:14z - 01:16z
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 1802 UTC »
I thought I heard some french (fishermen?) at one point which I've heard before around this frequency; it's possible there's two conversations going on with the french guys waiting for the tones to stop to keep chatting & then whoever is conducting the tone test also engaging in voice data of some sort.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns