We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 'Sylvania' Model # SBT1100 FM stereo 'Pt. 15' "bluetooth FM Audio Transmitter...  (Read 2291 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi Folks !!!! :-)

This is about the above "Part 15" FM car/truck hands free Calling... whatever...  Model SBT1100 by "Sylvania' (really Osram of China)

Got this from Wally-world at around $ 15 bucks so don't expect much :-)

Well... it is FM and it is stereo and it does what it says but...

First off <heh>  I looked for the FCC logo... not there... No mention to Part 15 in the 'instruction book' such as it is...  The only mention to Part 15 is in micro-print on the bottom of the box... hmmmm... no FCC logo tho... but who cares right ?

It states it will broadcast 'up to 5 meters'... ok, it does that with a very strong signal... hmmm... no antenna... how be thou ?  5 meters is equal to, kinda sorta,   16.4042 feet... hmmm... this gadget must be coupling to the house wiring...  It's more than that from the corner of the kitchen to this room... but never mind.  It has a very strong signal so it must be coupling to the house wiring... right ????

Anyway <heh>,  It's made for car/truck use and not in-house use so that might be my problem.  It is being powered by the 'boost battery' that I use for the truck to get that beast working.  But remember my battery charger makes a ton of noise and I have placed a bunch of ferrite 'beads' in/out everything to keep the noise down to the SDR and the Yaesu rig...  the noise is suppressed quite a bit now for the SDR & Yaesu... but maybe the beads don't stop the out going stuff...  What do I know... right ???

To be honest it's too damned cold for this old buzzard to go outside to check the field strength of this little beastie so I will take the 'Sylvania' aka   Osram of China, at their word that this ((POS)) is within the legal parts of Part 15... And understand, I use this only to make my Honey Angel happy so she can hear Xmas music free and clear of the Ads and other BS that commercial radio seem to find the need to dump on us during this wonderful time of PEACE and whatever...

Yes I could run speaker wires and such all over the place in the apartment but messy is not my thing out-side of the 'radio room' and she might look at me 'funny' if I were to do so...  but she is very understanding... if it doesn't involve wires hanging here or there !!!!...

Oh yeah!!! This Part 15 thingie, if Bluetooth'ed to your 'smart' (read that as 'stupid') phone will broadcast your phone conversations on the standard FM radio band...  Not something I would want and if I know you folks... not your place to be in reality...  Some of us are paranoid enough without broadcasting our caca doodee poo poo on the 'public' airways...  Think about it !!!

And if people crab about the signal being weak... hell, I'll power up the CZE-07 (China POS) so the whole damned County can hear it !!!!  I would if I had one that is... because I don't... never did... thought about it tho...  not for Xmas music...  I wanted to turn the area on-to DEVO...  But that is another situation :-)

Have a happy to all you folks on this... whatever it is...  And great DX to all !!!!!

73 to all from somebody else not me :-)
k

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline OZDXer

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Email
In summer I often leave the car radio tuned to 87.6 FM in case of any Sporadic E appearances from NZ, or for distant Tropo Aussies.  I sometimes hear hands free systems / satnav guides / playlists etc from cars closeby.  I also hear people's phone conversations !  I wonder if they QSL ?? :)

But then again some drivers have their hands-free speakers turned way up, and shout into them, so I hear these conversations at the traffic lights anyway.

Amazingly on the Daegu GT SDR which sadly now appears offline, the only local thing you heard on 87.6 was Korean satnav instructions, or the large up & down fading open carriers from them as cars with these things drove past.

I remain an analogue (or twin-paired copper wire) kind of guy.
eQSL's welcome !  david667@optusnet.com.au

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
I got one of those Bluetooth FM car things and a 12VDC wall wart with a cigar lighter socket. No wires.  ;)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Hmmm. Feed it to a beam and see how far it'll go!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm tempted but.. hey wait a minute... I could connect an antenna via inductive coupling and.... errrrr... I'll be back in a few <heh>
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is it this device?

https://fccid.io/2ANH7-SBT1100/Test-Report/DDT-R18080208-1E1-SBT1100-FCC-ID-Report-BT-EDR-3972291

This is just an STD Fm radio transmitter...  88 - 108 MHZ

No ! this is NOT the device same number tho... WEIRD!  FRAUD! Well maybe... there is no documentation of PT 15 that came with the unit except it does claim FCC pt. 15 in extremely small letters on the bottom of the box only!  Not on the manual or the device itself...  Toss the box and you have no evidence ...

It also says 'range up to 5 meters'... errrr I would say a bit more then that but not too loudly... who knows who might be listening ehhh ?  :-)

It's good for what it is and won't see the light of day after the season...

have a happy too all  !
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 1754 UTC by ka1iic »
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Here's what I found:

https://fccid.io/2ANH7-SBT1100/RF-Exposure-Info/RF-Exposure-Report-3972292.pdf

Thing is... there seem to be a number of different types of units using the same Model number i.e. SBT1100...
Single document for all kinds of transmitters... the only 'Blue Tooth' that happens with this one I've got is via the Cell phone not the FM thing...  but some with the same number have antenna outputs and Blue Tooth in the unit... Good grief what the heck ????

Now I have to do some real searching...  <sigh>
73 Vince
KA1IIC

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns