We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 11175 USB  (Read 58373 times)

Matt285

Re: 11175 USB
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2019, 1855 UTC »
18:54 Mainsail requesting Hotel radio check, Yankee 316 and SoHo also heard. Solid copy

Matt285

« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2019, 1316 UTC »
13:1o 'Associate' 4R4 4R4  N F E E N G into other various letters & Numbers . 13:17 "Associate out'

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2019, 1347 UTC »
13:1o 'Associate' 4R4 4R4  N F E E N G into other various letters & Numbers . 13:17 "Associate out'

Are you sure the "4R4" was not "For Romeo Force" instead of "4 Romeo 4"?

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Matt285

« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2019, 1400 UTC »
It may have very well been. For one reason or another I wrote down 4 Romeo 4. I just turned my receiver back on. It's quiet at the moment.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2019, 1559 UTC »
It may have very well been. For one reason or another I wrote down 4 Romeo 4. I just turned my receiver back on. It's quiet at the moment.

I will have to check my recording, I am pretty sure it will end up being "For Romeo Force".  I don't typically monitor or record the HFGCS freqs, but in the process of recording something else I happened to get that one I think.

T!
T!

Matt285

« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2019, 1608 UTC »
When you guys record, is that done via an SDR app? I would like to be able to record Numbers stations due to my schedule.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2019, 1650 UTC »
When you guys record, is that done via an SDR app? I would like to be able to record Numbers stations due to my schedule.

There are many ways to record, a lot of "which is the best way" depends on how you are receiving.  Using a local traditional receiver, using a local SDR, using a remote receiver, etc.

In my case the vast majority of my listening and recording is done using a local SDR, an SDR at my location and locally controlled.  Many of my recordings are done at scheduled times and when I am not at the receiver to start or stop recordings.  So then the question is, do I want to record audio only?  Or do I want to record the I/Q from the SDR so I have more playback versatility?

Most of my SDR recordings are done as I/Q, and using an SDR program.  This is better than simple audio recordings because it allows me to adjust modes and filters on playback.  But the files can get pretty big and bulky.

When I record using remote receivers or local traditional receivers I record just the audio.  Then I do not use an SDR app, but just a standard audio app.  Something like Audacity can be used, or there are radio specific applications like ScannerRecorder (ScanRec).

On the rare occasions I do intentionally record the HF-GCS I typically do it audio only, using a traditional receiver (or receivers), and using ScanRec.  ScanRec allows triggered recordings.  I mean, when nothing is heard it will not record, and when a signal is heard it will start recording.  It also allows stereo recordings, with separate time tags for each channel.  So I can have one receiver, say on 8992 kHz, in the left channel, and another receiver,, say on 11175 kHz, in the right channel.  When a signal in either receiver triggers the squelch the program records both left and right, and time tags (in a text file) the start time and duration of each segment identified by channel.

It works pretty well, assuming the signal you receive is strong enough to break the squelch.  Since I am in a nice location to receive 4724 kHz loudly under a variety of conditions I often use that freq as a master trigger.  And yes, you can get 3 receivers into a 2 channel stereo recording and still ID each receiver in playback.  Whatever is in the left channel is one receiver, whatever is in the right channel is the second receiver, and whatever is in both channels equally is the third receiver.  I prefer to only do 2 channels into a recording, but sometimes you have to do 3 for whatever reason.

T!
T!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2019, 1706 UTC »
OK, checked the recordings, and I am pretty sure it is "for romeo force".

Here is a recording of the start of the transmission:  http://www.tokenradio.net/Radio/SharedFiles/AudTfer/HFGCS_Associate_for_romeo_force_4724_27102019.mp3

And here is the end of the transmission:   http://www.tokenradio.net/Radio/SharedFiles/AudTfer/HFGCS_this_is_associate_out_4724_27102019.mp3

T!
T!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2019, 2202 UTC »
I live on 11175, it was def ROMEO FORCE.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2019, 2336 UTC »
I had found a web page that showed the locations for the various call signs, but I can't seem to find it now. I know certain ones are not geographically specific, but more so determine if its a ground, ship or air station I believe.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2019, 0055 UTC »
The ones used like this, Romeo, Sierra, Mike, etc, are not going to be ones you can look up.  They are probably assigned for a specific event or evolution, and may mean something completely different the next time you hear it.  This is not like "Skull" or "Red River", callsigns specific platforms or locations use for extended periods.

T!
T!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2019, 0133 UTC »
HFGCS can be divided into two parts; air assets and ground assets. Everything heard on it will be of those two varieties for the most part, can't count out USN afloat units.

The ground stas service the air assets and these have static callsigns like OFFUT, ANDREWS, LAJES, DIEGO GARCIA etc and we know where these ground stas are, with MAINSAIL being an HFGCS general callsign similar to ANY RADIO. OFFUT of course will be Stratcom HQ in Bellevue Nebraska, aka southside Omaha. The ground stas rarely talk to each other over HFGCS save for rc. Along with their base callsign they will also have random callsigns on a per mission or per interval basis.

The air assets will be anything from battlestaff/ALCS E6 and E4 to bombers to trainers to what have you that the USAF flies. The air assets "entering" and "exiting" the "net" on HFGCS will be of the E4/E6 variety and have rotating calls like SPACE ACE who just requested an unid sta meet him on the CHARLIE ECHO window (9031).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airborne_Launch_Control_System#Current_Era

Speaking of USN on hf, USN used to have a lot more traffic in hf USB voice, pretty much their own HFGCS, but they've gone to satcom and hf BRASS (STANAGS4481 and 4285) but can pop up anywhere they please.
https://www.isode.com/whitepapers/brass-to-br1eta.html

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2019, 2121 UTC »
ABDUCTION calls TRAP HOUSE @ 2045Z 25NOV19 and requests they QSL (he meant QSY) to the CHARLIE ECHO window, aka 9031.

On CE window ABDUCTION requests TRAP HOUSE set up for HF Digital, TRAP HOUSE replies there's another flight and cannot comply, TRAP HOUSE directs ABDUCTION to callsign REASSIGN for HF Digital.

ABDUCTION QSYs to triple one and calls REASSIGN with no response heard here.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=traphouse
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 2125 UTC by Josh »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2019, 1632 UTC »
Yl with "test test test test" and carriers @ 1631Z 12DEC19

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2020, 1800 UTC »
FISH FACE with test count 1755Z 02JAN19
IRON WORKS checking out of the net in the blind 1802Z 02JAN19
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 1806 UTC by Josh »