We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 11175 USB  (Read 58384 times)

Offline Rizla

• Sonoran Desert, AZ
    • View Profile
Re: 11175 USB
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2020, 2137 UTC »
11175 (s7) and 8995 (s9) PARSONAGE (?) calling various parties, going nuts with EAM's today, many of them five minutes apart, at least 1/2 dozen in the past hour 2030-2130z. Anyone else hearing this? Is there a special event/exercise going on?

Another one just came on as I wrote this.

Edit (2147z): ... and another. Getting that echo-y thing going on both freqs which could be long/short path stuff, this may be  the most EAMs I've heard in an hour (?) They're on every five minutes, same voice and callsign (I don't think I have the callsign right...)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 2148 UTC by Rizla »
QTH: Sonoran Desert, AZ. Kenwood TS-820S, FT-891, Tecsun 880, neophyte in a forest of antenna wire.

Online autovon

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2021, 1911 UTC »
Heard the Looking Glass callsign used recently.  That was a blast from the past. 
Default RX location is Wisconsin using various wire antennas. Other RX will be noted.

Offline ve6jy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2021, 2025 UTC »
11175 very active today, first alerted when I saw many users on my 3 KIWI's all tuned tuned there! Loud signals up here in Alberta. Many stations, some doubling. I would think any echo here is almost always from multiple locations transmitting, not LP/SP. Not impossible tho.  SkyMaster, Marigold, Stevedore and many others. And I did hear the looking Glass one too.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2021, 1615 UTC »
I heard Looking Glass yesterday as well and the Skymaster station responded to him.

Couldn't tell what was going on, but was rather busy, similar to an amateur radio contest at times. I heard two stations ask if this was real world or an exercise. I didn't hear a response the first time and the station responding at the second time was too weak here.  I also heard Icehouse yesterday (in addition to the others already mentioned).

Heard frequent EAMs, with other stations (assuming they were aircraft by their callsigns) calling Skymaster with 4 item messages in between the EAMs and sometimes over the EAMs.

The EAMs were by at least three different callsigns and seemed to be of varying signal strength. The signals on the other HFCGS were different than usual. Usually on normal(?) ones, I get an echo on 11175 and a bit weaker on 15016, and 4724 is very strong with no echo. Yesterday, they were of sufficient strength on 11175, a little weaker on 15016, and completely absent on the other freqs (4724, 8992, and 13200). Clearly using different transmitters that usual.

The aircraft with 4 item messages weren't simulcasting on other freqs, I only heard them on 11175. I wasn't checking the other freqs during quiet times to see if any showed up there, I'd only check when 11175 was active and for parallel activity.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2021, 1359 UTC »
Interesting traffic going on.

India One Charlie was calling Hickam Global over and over. After a bit he called Yokota who responded. I1C requested a phone patch (couldn't copy the number) and was directed by Yakota to "QSY" to 11,052 KHz USB

I1C is there on the patch right now but it's poor copy compared to 11,175

Patch has finished but I1C requested a number xxx 473-3931  (I think)

Jim
Orange County, CA

13:58Z 11April2021
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2021, 2309 UTC »
I had a similar intercept on 10 May 2021.

18:13 UTC 11175.0 kHz USB
CORDO 14 calling MAINSAIL and requesting a phone patch;
MAINSAIL to CORDO 14, QSY to 11056.0 kHz;
Requested phone patch to commercial [I removed the phone number to keep it private];
18:21Z phone patch complete.

RSPduo | Barker & Williamson antenna | Toronto, Ontario Canada

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2021, 0105 UTC »
I had a similar intercept on 10 May 2021.

18:13 UTC 11175.0 kHz USB
CORDO 14 calling MAINSAIL and requesting a phone patch;
MAINSAIL to CORDO 14, QSY to 11056.0 kHz;
Requested phone patch to commercial [I removed the phone number to keep it private];
18:21Z phone patch complete.

RSPduo | Barker & Williamson antenna | Toronto, Ontario Canada

What I found interesting during my monitoring was the alpha-number-alpha format of the callsigns and I1C's unfamiliarity with how the USAF runs the global HF network. Going from memory, the second phone patch didn't work because the called party refused to talk over the Air Force patch and hung up twice in a row. Next I1C was insisting that Yakota basically take a message about some exercise he was involved in but Yakota kept insisting he was unreadable and please repeat again. I1C went away.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2021, 0557 UTC »
Some notes on the above posts;

When you hear lots of eams going out there may be something afoot, or in this case the quarterly SKYMASTER exercise as denoted by the callsign intercepted. In contrast to when "Gulf War - The Miniseries" came out in 1991 the eam opening the ceremonies was 130 some characters long.

The LFL (Letter Figure Letter) calls heard on HFGCS such as I1C might be a USN/MARINE CORPS unit, or any number of NATO users as trigrafs are a NATO tactical standard.

As SKYMASTER is a STRATCOM nuclear forces command exercise there are going to be USN players participating so my money's on USN. The USN contingent could be TACAMOs but TACAMOs normally have word callsigns.

Also the CORDO 14 might have been GORDO 14 as GORDO is a well known USAF call going by memory.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.