We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 6738.6 USB  (Read 2231 times)

Offline stevechisox

• View Profile
    • Email
UNID 6738.6 USB
« on: June 04, 2011, 1720 UTC »
5:17 UTC June 4th

Really strong signal, but was basically a voice saying "Tango, Whisky, Zulu, Golf" etc ended with a "that is all" and went off the air. Sounds like it was military. Can someone explain what this was? Some kind of test message, a drill or EAM?

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: UNID 6738.6 USB
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 0236 UTC »
The actual frequency is 6739.0 USB.  It is part of the HF-GCS (High Frequency Global Communications System).  It is military, it can be accessed by any US service but is predominantly US Air Force.

There are sites located all around the World, and it is not unusual to hear a pronounced echo on the signal, this echo is caused by you receiving more than one station at the same time.

Frequencies to watch for this traffic are 4724, 6739, 8992, 11175, 13200, and 15016 kHz, all are in USB mode.  There are other frequencies as well, but those are the most active.  It is common, in fact it is the norm, to hear the same message on multiple frequencies at the same time.

Without more detail it is impossible to tell exactly what kind of message you heard, there are several common types, but it is quite likely it was indeed an EAM.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline stevechisox

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID 6738.6 USB
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 1735 UTC »
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. I have been listening to shortwave for years (stopped for awhile), but I was never really into the utility stuff. I didn't realize what I was missing, this is some really interesting stuff.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns