We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ah, the Christmas Spirit (my favorite holiday songs)  (Read 1012 times)

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Not a crime in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ah, the Christmas Spirit (my favorite holiday songs)
« on: December 25, 2018, 2226 UTC »
Reminds me of my maternal side of coalminers in Central Pennsylvania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz1sg

I had my seven fish, did you  ;)?  So, those of my ancestry migrated from New Haven to East Haven after several decades of being in the new world.  There is no difference between Catania, Sicily and East Haven, CT (slurred by locals to 'Staven) other than the outdoor fish market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1xrfgvYrBw
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 2229 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Ah, the Christmas Spirit (my favorite holiday songs)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 1918 UTC »
I'm not in PA., but all the imported local miners and stone masons were either Sicilians or Calabrians. Their descendants had their smelt feeds a few days ago.

The song was great. Christmas trees on phone poles that stayed up until May? Check. "Merry Christmas" sign hanging over the road coming into town that may or may not come down. Check. Families with 5 plus girls christened "Maria"? You know it. (Hey, it's what middle names are for.) The roar of Camaro's? I lived where the four lane began, they'd run 'em off all night long with help of the city cops. Best friend whose name was "Pasquale" (never call him that) who behaved like the guy in the video when he got older? Oh yeah.

Thanks for the great vid.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Ah, the Christmas Spirit (my favorite holiday songs)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 2124 UTC »
This part of Indiana had/has a mess of Italians from the Asiago area, about the only work back then was coal mine.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.