We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MFJ-209C for medium wave tests?  (Read 2294 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
MFJ-209C for medium wave tests?
« on: April 30, 2021, 2311 UTC »
Anyone ever try this antenna analyzer to match-up Part #15 antennas and Carrier-Current Coupling?   https://www.mtcradio.com/mfj-209c-hf-vhf-220mhzswr-anlyzr-nolcddisp/       I like that the newer MFJ analyzers now measure that low. Just too bad that the original ones don't, like the MFJ-269C that I bought in 2005. I also like that the MFJ-209C does the 222MHz band, where as the MFJ-269C skips over it.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: MFJ-209C for medium wave tests?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 0021 UTC »
Got the 209C here but have only used it on HF.  Very basic instrument but it works for my purposes. Picked it up on clearance, it does not seem to be widely available, cannot find it in the latest catalog, may be discontinued.

If anybody wants one and can find it, better grab it. 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 0123 UTC »
I never liked the MFJ analyzers; too easy to damage by inadvertent static, etc.  I bought a rigexpert AA-35 Zoom last year, couldn't be happier, and it goes down to 60 KHz.  And yes, I have used it on a psudo-part15 station.

+-RH
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 0125 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 0603 UTC »
The NanoVNA architecture can go down to 10-50KHz and up to 1.5-3GHz (via harmonics) depending upon the particular model.

It does not have the construction quality of commercialized competitors, but the price is reflective of the difference. ;)

Also, I suggest anyone interested in a NanoVNA to not buy a clone. Buy a known model from one of the recommended resellers.

https://nanovna.com/?page_id=121

I like my NanoVNA-H4, but admittedly, I am not tuning lots of transmitting antennas or needing professional-grade results.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 1143 UTC »
I have both a nanoVNA as well as a RigExpert (zero model, I added my own TTL to USB cable). I tend to use the former on VHF/UHF and the latter on HF (mostly due to inertia).  Very handy for testing and maintaining all my antennas.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 1159 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 1512 UTC »
I still have my RigExpert Zero, which I bought on your recommendation Chris.  I bought the 35 Zoom simply so I didn't have to keep dragging a laptop to the base of the antenna every time I was in the field setting up for a show ;D

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: MFJ-209C for medium wave tests? Well, I've just ordered one.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 1856 UTC »
German Laugh-In soldier says, "Very interesting.". Indeed, interesting, and quick feed-back from y'all on this. Well, the only other antenna analyzer that I've used is one from Bird, to match train and metro railcar two-way radios. But, I wasn't about to pay for what Bird wanted for that unit back in 2005, so I bought the MFJ-269C for $500.00. My take??? Extremely versatile, and even liberating, device for HF and VHF. However, UHF on it was the Russian phase, "Trust, but verify." I still use the bi-directional wattmeter up there, but everywhere else, the MFJ dead-nuts matched the wattmeters. Anyway, price is indeed an option for me, so getting an antenna analyzer for less than $200.00 certainly looks attractive to me. Thanks for the input!

UPDATE 5/8/2021: Bought one over at MTC. For $190.00 and free shipping, that was a YES!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 0503 UTC by ThaDood »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Huh... MTC later found that, not only didn't they have anymore MFJ-209C's in-stock, but couldn't order anymore from MFJ. (Gee... Even I could have told them the later.) So, they had three MFJ-259D's in-stock, so I ordered one of them instead. That goes down even lower, but misses the 1750M Experimenter's Band, which I've done only via Carrier-Current. Still, if I want to try something on the newer 472kHz HAM Band, I now could. https://www.mtcradio.com/mfj-259d-swr-antenna-analyzer-hf-vhf-and-220-280kghz-230-mhz/

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns