We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: audio recorder  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Sky Waves

• North Central North Carolina
  • North Carolina - 25 miles north of Greensboro
    • View Profile
    • Email
audio recorder
« on: December 30, 2018, 1657 UTC »
Hi. Great site. I'm not new to radios but only dabbled in SW/pirate listening. How does one monitor, say 6925 mhz for extended periods? I'm thinking some kind of software digital audio recorder or is analog recording equipment preferred? Also how do you manage the time stamp? I can see how that would be easy with a software audio recorder?

Thanks
Paul Patterson
Stoneville, NC
RSPduo, FT-2000,ocf 260ft dipole, 4-el 10- 40m & 12/17m yagies up 60 ft.
eQSLs appreciated. Please QSL to rtpman1953@yahoo.com
amateur radio call: N4CE

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: audio recorder
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 1742 UTC »
In my case, I record the entire 6800-7000 kHz 43m band with my SDR, and then go back and look at the recordings with mySdrPlayback: https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/sdr_iq_recording_playback_program.html

It displays a waterfall for each IQ recording file, so I can quickly spot any transmissions of interest, and demodulate and listen to them. I can go through 12 hours of recordings in 10 minutes, assuming I don't find anything to listen to  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 2048 UTC »
Audacity (free recording software) works well & if you kick it off at 00:00 utc then it makes it easy to mark the time if there's any overnight activity.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 2121 UTC »
As stated above, recording the iq stream from an sdr tuned to the desired band offers a lot of flexibility for later analysis. That being said, those files can end up being "huge", unlike an 8bit audio stream.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Sky Waves

• North Central North Carolina
  • North Carolina - 25 miles north of Greensboro
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 1045 UTC »
Thanks everyone for the good ideas. So yes, I did find the SDRuno recorder and as mentioned it can gobble up large chunks of disk space. I have Audacity as well and will select whichever one makes sense at the time of the recording.

Thanks
Paul Patterson
Stoneville, NC
RSPduo, FT-2000,ocf 260ft dipole, 4-el 10- 40m & 12/17m yagies up 60 ft.
eQSLs appreciated. Please QSL to rtpman1953@yahoo.com
amateur radio call: N4CE

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 2233 UTC »
My next sdr pc build will have a fat (as in size, not format) disk dedicated to iq/audio storage. Something that can help people who don't want huge iq/audio files is to have the recording overwrite itself once it gets to such and such size.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.