We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ray Sawyer of Dr Hook & the Medicine Show RIP  (Read 1418 times)

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ray Sawyer of Dr Hook & the Medicine Show RIP
« on: January 04, 2019, 0034 UTC »
Ray Sawyer, the Dr Hook & The Medicine Show member who sang the 1973 Shel Silverstein-penned hit “The Cover of ‘Rolling Stone,’” has died in Florida on December 31, 2018. Sawyer retired in 2015 and died after a short illness. He was 81. The Alabama-born Sawyer – who founded the group with Dennis Locorriere, Billy Francis and George Cummings – was a member of Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show from 1969 to 1981. A few years before the band’s formation, Sawyer lost his right eye in a car accident; Sawyer wore an eyepatch that made him resemble the Peter Pan villain Captain Hook, which served as the inspiration for the Dr Hook moniker. In 1970, Dr Hook & The Medicine Show’s demo tapes wound up in the hands of author and songwriter Shel Silverstein, who recruited the band to become a vessel for his music: The group would turn Silverstein-written tracks like “Sylvia’s Mother” and “The Cover of ‘Rolling Stone’” into hits and released two albums of Silverstein-penned songs, 1971’s Dr Hook and 1972’s Sloppy Seconds
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Ray Sawyer of Dr Hook & the Medicine Show RIP
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 0234 UTC »
Did Al give you permission to post that?

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 0854 UTC »
I think the question of greater importance is "Has Al ever made the cover of the Rolling Stone?  ;)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 1117 UTC »
No, but he drove Ray's limo.

Didn't Ray and the gang have a short-lived TV variety show in mid-70's?

A friends older brother looked like a cross between Ray Sawyer and the "Zig-Zag Man". A flawed nail took his eye on a roofing job. He drove a white mid-60's Dodge Dart. He had the Zig-Zag Man painted on the hood after the accident. He got a bunch of attention from the cops for that one but he was never hassled. They'd do a double take of the guy on the hood and him in the drivers seat, then tell him to move on.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 2238 UTC »
Did Al give you permission to post that?

A thunder stolen is hard to find forgiveness.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 1817 UTC »
Al owns HAARP, he creates his own thunder.

A huge flock of flying penguins went by the other night heading upriver to feed on the walleye and sauger run. They sounded like thousands of hummingbirds as they tore upriver a foot and half off the surface heading for the locks. Some stopped to pose for pictures with the kiddies. Penguins are so cool.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 2225 UTC »
Walleye, yum!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.