We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: Simple SiC TX  (Read 378 times)

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Simple SiC TX
« on: January 05, 2019, 1850 UTC »
Having designed what I think is the limit of my skills (40W Gan, programmable DDS) I've decided to build a much simpler Tx to reduce cost and increase interest! (Hopefully...?)

Having recently discovered CARDINAL CPP oscillators (thank's to someone on here, Cheers!!) it greatly simplifies design.

I now have a Simple SiC TX with ONLY 17 components.

I've found a UK company to wind Mod Tranny's for me and will get the cases milled at source for a decent finish.

Frequency changing is as simple as plugging in a new oscillator and as they're <$5 I think it's a good way to go.

I've had one on the air and no complaints of any sort, rock steady and very efficient with class D Modulator and class E RF stage using C3M CREE SiC mosfet.

Should be ready in a month or so and will advertise on eBay but please get in touch directly and save yourself some $/.

ALL the Best and Happy New Year.

Stretchy.

'It's better to give than receive' so why RX when you can TX!

Buy one from me, NOW!

Great discounts on ALL my transmitters if purchased via HFUnderground

;)

Offline Monophonia

• View Profile
Re: Simple SiC TX
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 1808 UTC »
Being able to order those oscillators from Digikey on frequency is a plus, If I ever make something that is truly fixed frequency I may explore those.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: Simple SiC TX
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 0719 UTC »
Just counted up the amount of components it has replaced, =41!

Current design has programmable DDS which SW needs to be written for etc (at cost as I didn't write it myself), that and a filter and an amplifier and a squarer to drive the driver, lots of bits!

For anyone wanting to build a simple TX just use the 'usual' class E design replacing the 74HC240 with a CPP oscillator and the FET driver of your choice.

I'm trying to find a source for cheap 'unprogrammed' oscillators (DUAL ones preferably), ANYONE?

DK seem to charge more for those than programmed ones, which is weird. Programmers aren't cheap either but will get one if I can get the OSCs cheap!

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why RX when you can TX!

Buy one from me, NOW!

Great discounts on ALL my transmitters if purchased via HFUnderground

;)