We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: The SW200 LPAM, Part #15, Amateur Radio AM, Audio Processor.  (Read 147 times)

Offline ThaDood

• View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Boomer told me about this AM processor,    https://www.schlockwood.com/products    At $430.00USD's, it would cost as much, or more than many Part #15 transmitters out there, so this would be an investment. But, to get that sound that can actually be better than most commercial stations out there, (And that's not hard to do today.), it may be well worth it.
From DC to light, I take a huge spectrum bite!

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The SW200 LPAM, Part #15, Amateur Radio AM, Audio Processor.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 0739 UTC »
For that kind of money, you could buy a license to stereotool and build a powerful enough machine to run it.

...just say'in

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
WinRadio Excalibur/305 w/ a chi-town resonant loop, Kenwood KDC-U356 for mobile listening.
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] gmail [d0t] com

Offline Josh

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 1913 UTC »
Iono, with a pc and some (probably free) audio software you could probably approximate anything that thing can do.
Conveniently located near Vincennes Indiana.

Offline ThaDood

• View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 2022 UTC »
Sure. And, I know stations that use a PC for part of that purpose. But, if you want a stand-alone unit, where you don't have to worry about software upgrades, hard drive crashes, or even dedicating a computer with yet another task, then this could be another alternative to go. Me??? I like computer aided, but totally computer dependent, on a station. Manual override is nice.
From DC to light, I take a huge spectrum bite!

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 2041 UTC »
I've played with various AM processors over the years, every thing from Optimod 9100B's to Innovonics, CRL, etc.  I don't like the idea of relying on a computer to process or handle audio, but the reality is we all do now.  Open up the latest Omnia or Optimod and you'll find they are largely a PC inside.

The nice thing about software processors is you can twiddle to your hearts content.  I was never real happy with the hardware boxes, there was always something about the sound I didn't like.  The Optimod had no balls (bass) due to Bob's notion that there was no musically relevant spectral content below 50hz (B.S...).  The CRL's had unfiltered clippers and if you hit them too hard they would get grungy.  Same thing with the Innovonics.

I suspect that this box on the inside is very similar to a 3 band innovonics processor from the 80's, made with surface mount parts to shrink the whole thing down. (I looked inside, it's all through hole...) Throw in a switched capacitor Caucer filter and you now have an NRSC processor.  I like the idea of a hardware box, but with the downturn in props, you gotta do what you have to, to be heard.  For a part 15, an old inno or CRL box would be just fine.  I have two in my stack for backup :)

+-RH
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 2047 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
WinRadio Excalibur/305 w/ a chi-town resonant loop, Kenwood KDC-U356 for mobile listening.
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] gmail [d0t] com

Offline Josh

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 2050 UTC »
If I ever became a privateer of the airwaves, I'd sure be looking into prerecording the cast with whatever processing desired and saving it to an mp3 player, then skeedaddle to the tx site, violate the ionosphere with glorious audio, and then escape and evade. The guys with balls so large they need a wheelbarrow to carry them are the ones that do live shows and respond to hfunderpants logs in real time.
Conveniently located near Vincennes Indiana.