We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Chanting Pesky - Native Americans 6990 LSB 2100 UTC 2 Jan 2018  (Read 4933 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Chanting Pesky (Japanese Language?) 6990 LSB 2100 UTC 2 Jan 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 1315 UTC »
Very interesting, Graham! Thanks for sharing his comments. Now to figure out what the purpose is.  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Chanting Pesky Windtalkers on 6990 kHz LSB 2100 UTC 2 Jan 2018
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 1923 UTC »
I had my son in law listen to these recordings including one from 3500 kHz LSB.

He is Mohawk and speaks some of this aboriginal language.

He has positively identified these as being "native". He describes the transmissions as "short answers" and "responses". He recognised a few words, definitely words like "STOP" and "REPEAT".

He was not sure of the dialect, maybe Mohawk, maybe not, wasn't sure.

Pesky "Wind Talkers" perhaps?

cheers, Graham near Ottawa Canada

Thanks Graham and Beerus Maximus - I went ahead and edited the title of the thread to reflect the corrected language source...if this is a "call and response" type of thing, its not too much of a stretch to call it a "net" like the other "peskies" heard in various languages :D  seems like these guys are pretty active on 6990 kHz and 3500 kHz. 

Windtalkers indeed.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Chanting Pesky - Native Americans 6990 LSB 2100 UTC 2 Jan 2018
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 2229 UTC »
6990 LSB is active again this evening with annoying slowly-increasing-in-frequency whine heterodyne and down-in-the-noise Latin American (probably South American) on-channel QRM at 2229 UTC.  6990 kHz LSB
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
The audio clip is located here:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s08ZaEUsIBdl

comments;

This clip started at 2213 utc Jan. 7 2019

length;  appox  28m  with 3 mins of my noise level for reference at the end.

At appox. 21 mins in the word (phonitic) 'che-ca-ta'  was repeated several times.

I will not post the SDR video because this was seemingly the only signal I could hear at this time on the 43 meter band... In other words extremely strong.

Remember I am using a 20 meter VERTICAL and an SDRPlay II at this location.

Please comment on your reception ay your QTH and if you are using KiwiSDR for location spotting

73  VW
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns