We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A couple of newbie questions  (Read 3380 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: A couple of newbie questions
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 1505 UTC »
I suggest that, if you're on Facebook, joining one of the shortwave groups there. Just three years ago I was in exactly the same position as you, didn't know anything about the technical aspects of shortwave, intimidated by the jargon, etc. I can testify that there's no real book out there for SWLing. My earliest information was contained in the user's manual that came with my first SW receiver, a Tecsun PL-600. From there, google was largely my friend. I found videos on youtube. (Look for "Official SWL Channel" for some very good beginner's information videos.) I found this group, which I joined and which introduced me to the fun of pirate radio. And I found the aforementioned shortwave groups on Facebook. Basically you have to ask a lot of questions and take in a lot of video and things do come piecemeal, however if it's really got you hooked, you'll learn quickly. Welcome!
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: A couple of newbie questions
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 0349 UTC »
The best thing one can do as a newbie is get a chart of the SW bands and ham bands, and tune them and listen away.

The most basic 'rule' is daytime the higher frequencies usually have more activity, nighttime you go lower.

Of course, being that we are at the bottom of the solar cycle, the higher bands have less activity than they did in 2011 and 2012 and such.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns