We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WFAN 660 AM New York transmission problems 1010 utc 27 Jan 2019  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
While listening to "JJ after Dark" at 1010 utc this morning on WFAN 660 am New York, the signal disappeared from this 50,000 watt Class A station.  A few minutes later, a very faint "JJ" could be heard but as if broadcast through a tunnel with waves crashing in.

I was hoping to DX other AM stations while the signal was so poor but the noise and faint WFAN signal are dominate.  I'm thinking others along the East Coast may not even receive the faint broadcast I have for over 20 minutes now.

To verify it was not the radio I had the same faint transmission throughout the house.  I don't think it is WFAN's antenna as sister station WCBS was broadcasting without problems from the same location.

1115utc Over an hour and problem continues.
1200utc Sometime in past 45 minutes normal broadcast returned, I shut off at 1115utc.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 1204 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Online redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WFAN 660 AM New York transmission problems 1010 utc 27 Jan 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 1644 UTC »
This was very early in the morning making me think WFAN may have been in a maintenance window.  Some things you just can't do with the RF on, maybe they were changing out a switch or something.  All the big stations have multiple backups with remote controlled switching so it is unlikely that a failure cause this, unless it was something downstream.  As you mentioned they are diplexed with WCBS, and anything wrong antenna or matching network would likely affect the other station.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 1841 UTC »
The am sta I worked at would drop to 6 watts when changing the multitude of 4-400As, but that was back when dirt was new.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Online redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 2037 UTC »
The am sta I worked at would drop to 6 watts when changing the multitude of 4-400As, but that was back when dirt was new.

I'm guessing that they were running on their 'night' transmitter while working on the 'day' transmitter, as those tube rigs wouldn't do any lower than about 25% nameplate power.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 1721 UTC »
I emailed them to find out what the signal degradation concerned, no word back from them yet. 
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 2020 UTC »

I'm guessing that they were running on their 'night' transmitter while working on the 'day' transmitter, as those tube rigs wouldn't do any lower than about 25% nameplate power.

+-RH

Correct. They'd make us switch from day to nite at 630pm each day, no matter if the sun was still going to be up till 930pm or the sun had set an hour earlier. Now I think they run 200w nite. Still have one of the 4-400s, intended on turning it into a desk lamp but 10 amps of current needed to make the heater glow is a bit more lectric than I want to pay.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.