We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Plate pirates target ham radio operators in Corner Brook  (Read 1302 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Plate pirates target ham radio operators in Corner Brook
« on: February 14, 2019, 1112 UTC »
There's a different kind of pirate radio situation unfolding in Corner Brook.

Someone is stealing the licence plates of amateur radio operators there, right off their vehicles.

"It's sort of uneasy because it's something we enjoy doing," said Kody Gardner, who lost his plate over the weekend.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, amateur radio operators can get licence plates starting with "VO1," followed by a call sign.

The plates identify the owner as being an amateur operator, and sometimes that they have communications equipment inside the vehicle.

But the ease of identifying those unique plates could also make them targets.

"There's a lot of plate collectors in Newfoundland and Labrador, and these plates are fairly rare. You don't come across them very often," said Gardner.

"So maybe to someone it might be worth a bit of money if they sell it online or something. So that's the only thing I can think of. I don't think anyone has something against us ham radio operators or something."

There are a number of Newfoundland and Labrador licence plates for sale on the online auction site eBay, where at least one amateur radio plate is listed.

Full article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/ham-radio-licence-plate-pirates-1.5006169
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Plate pirates target ham radio operators in Corner Brook
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 1406 UTC »
It's not surprising. Mike Hamar straightens up just enough to make Possum Lake's police force and things start disappearing. The son of Bambi Bazooms goes bad again.

They don't have these problems in Port Asbestos.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Plate pirates target ham radio operators in Corner Brook
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 1412 UTC »
It's not surprising. Mike Hamar straightens up just enough to make Possum Lake's police force and things start disappearing. The son of Bambi Bazooms goes bad again.

They don't have these problems in Port Asbestos.

"I'm a man, and I can change, if I have to, I guess..."

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me