We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: mag loop inside garage or attic.  (Read 3803 times)

bandarr3000

mag loop inside garage or attic.
« on: February 07, 2019, 2131 UTC »
Has anyone put a mag loop like the W6LVP or Wellbrook inside their garage or attic?  If so, what was your experience?  Seems like a great spot to me, and I have a rotator to null out noise. 

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: mag loop inside garage or attic.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 1037 UTC »
A couple of things to check...  if there is house wiring near the loop could cause interference, also if the sheathing
under whatever siding at the gable ends is of the foil covered type or if the siding is aluminum could act as a shield.
Otherwise, just be careful crawling around in the attic. 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline bumbelstock

• Div. 46
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 0625 UTC »
Hi Bandarr3000!

My ''two Word's'', do it!
I got some nice RX and TX Experience with Mag. Loop Antennas indoor, under the Roof or just into the Shack.
Turn away from noise is all the time possible with this Kind of Antenna.
Of course, if you got electric noise from you location, you may got it into your RX but a second Mag. Loop, stay in the Direction to the electric noise, or in other Words, stay behind the receiving Loop as a shield to the noise / reflector could help!
And there is not engagement to buy RX Loop Systems, just take a look to the Web and search for ''Army Loop''.

like: https://owenduffy.net/blog/?p=3026

You can use simply cheap rotating capacitor from Radios and do it with different Loop Diameters for you elected frequency.

All that nothing like a resonant Dipole 50ft up in the Air, but a got solution!

One personal examble, at 11m Band SSB with Army Loop coupling and Loop with 80cm into the house, Summer '16  -> what i here (Europe), i could work.

For MW RX : https://www.fading.de/antennentechnik/bauanleitung_rahmenantenne -> build it and enjoy this Loop every Day!

Of course, Power Supply for Notebook and other should be of if you RX inside.

Greeting's  :)

Greetings from the Yellow Bumbelstock

RX from central Germany

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 1824 UTC »
My $0.02 worth??? I'd choose the attic over the garage, since the garage is more likely to have reactive metallic items around it, a car, motorcycle, roll-around tool boxes, aluminum garage doors, more electrical wiring, florescent lights, etc. Things to consider in the attic??? Is the roof standard wood and shingles, or tin? How far are you away from CATV, or DSL, MODEM's and routers? Is the fibre glass insulation, (If any.), covered in aluminum foil? Some things to consider, but I've fully made use of an attic to mount CB antenna and HAM antennas, and FM / TV antennas, and with decent results. On possible mounting for a loop is to mount it hanging upside down from the apex of the rafters. Good luck, and HAPPY DX'ing!!!! 
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Retops

• Oklahoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 2145 UTC »
I have a W6LVP loop inside a bonus room over my garage and it works great.  Loop is good for nulling out interference from neighbors at times.  I am frequently amazed at how well it works with weak signals.
Oklahoma, USA
Icom IC-R8600, FDM-Duo and several transceivers.  W6LVP loop, 130 foot long wire.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 2135 UTC »
My vote is put it where it'll be most effective yet out of the elements/most survivable or exposed to foot traffic.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

bandarr3000

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 1710 UTC »
Thanks, all.  I think I now have the confidence to keep it out of the elements with the expectation of good results.