We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: That was then, this is now....  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: That was then, this is now....
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 1835 UTC »
About a year after Elvis died, I was driving through a rustbelt town, a guy had table in an old supermarket lot selling velvet pictures of "Fat Rhinestone Elvis" and "Christ With The Crown of Thorns". I thought it was about the funniest thing I'd ever seen. The next summer on the first anniversary of "The Big E's" death, the pilgrimages to Graceland began.

I hope that guy up in the Youngstown suburbs found out, moved to Memphis, and made his fortune.

Surely he had a massive black velvet rottweiler to go with Fat Elvis? Today's Elvis version would be Fat Axl Rose on black velvet.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Re: That was then, this is now....
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2019, 1623 UTC »
That's one of the beautiful aspects of music - being an art form its all subjective - there's no right or wrong, good or bad.  When I think of some of the stuff I listened to back in the 60's (i.e. Vanilla Fudge, Blue Cheer, Zappa, etc.) I have to wonder what was going thru my mind at the time. Its like when someone posits "Best Guitar Player of All Time ?..) and the suggestions  come flooding out - everyone from Jimi Hendrix to Andres Segovia. Damned if I know. I can't play a note on a guitar - all I know is what i like.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago