We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: That was then, this is now....  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
That was then, this is now....
« on: February 20, 2019, 2236 UTC »
So, Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont gave his State of the Union speech today promoting Marijuana and decrying plastic bags.  Jeez, it makes you nostalgic for the days when the pot was illegal and the baggie it was in was legal. 

"But Lamont listed sports betting, internet wagering and marijuana legalization among the new sources of revenue that must be enacted." .

"There's also a 10-cent surcharge on plastic bags."

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 2244 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: That was then, this is now....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 0000 UTC »
We already have a horde of legaly stoned people out driving on prescription meds that state in the little white sheet that this "medicine" makes people suicidal and/or homicidal, why not legalise pot and add more to the streets. The thing about pot to me at least is why would anyone want to deliberately make themselves even more retarded? I didn't think that way when I was 18 but I do now.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 0057 UTC »
They're picking on pot again...    :(

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 0331 UTC »
We already have a horde of legaly stoned people out driving on prescription meds that state in the little white sheet that this "medicine" makes people suicidal and/or homicidal, why not legalise pot and add more to the streets. The thing about pot to me at least is why would anyone want to deliberately make themselves even more retarded? I didn't think that way when I was 18 but I do now.

Even Tim Leary said "Pot makes you stupid". but he followed it up with "Some days it helps to be stupid."

I still get a kick out of the fact that everyone who ended up in the military between roughly1960 & 1985, took a personality test designed by Tim at the beginning of his "psychedelic enlightenment" to determine if they were fit for duty. Only in America.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 0426 UTC »

"And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
Wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
Guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
Kill, kill. " And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "kill, kill, " and
He started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
Yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
Sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Didn't feel too good about it."

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 1651 UTC »

Even Tim Leary said "Pot makes you stupid". but he followed it up with "Some days it helps to be stupid."

I still get a kick out of the fact that everyone who ended up in the military between roughly1960 & 1985, took a personality test designed by Tim at the beginning of his "psychedelic enlightenment" to determine if they were fit for duty. Only in America.

I imagine old Tim was a huge cia tool.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 1937 UTC »
The currently conservative radio fire-breather, Michael Savage, was the gatekeeper at the Millbrook Estate, up the Hudson from NYC, where Leary did his cocktail party Acid scene for the wealthy and adventurous of that city. Some nights when he's bellowing I feel like calling his show and asking him, "Where were you at the Be-In at Golden Gate Park, Mike?"

Leary brought his Millbrook crew west to S.F. to meet with Kesey at the event. They were shocked by the chaos, but they had to sample the local product.They were fed huge amounts of the Owsley, which came in much higher doses than that legal Sandoz product they'd been playing with back East. Tim uttered his famous words "Turn on, tune in, drop out." the next day in Golden Gate Park.

Leary had made national news before, but that incident was the lead-in on all three TV networks and a top of the fold newspaper item from coast to coast. He was hanging on at Harvard by a thread for his Millbrook hijinks, The Be-In incident snapped it.

Year's later Leary is doing a morning drive-time show for Pacifica in L.A. and tells everyone to keep an eye out for the whales
mating just offshore in the Santa Barbara Channel. He had traffic backed up both ways for miles. End of that career. The "Great Comet Kohoutek" prediction was sometime in that era. Someone should tell George Noory and his bunch we've been living in peace and harmony with the Space Brothers since 1973.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 2312 UTC »

"And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
Wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
Guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
Kill, kill. " And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "kill, kill, " and
He started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and down
Yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
Sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Didn't feel too good about it."

Yes, sir, Officer Obie, I cannot tell a lie, I put that envelope
under that garbage. "/quote]
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 2322 UTC »
A woman I know actually went to jail for illegal dumping on Thanksgiving. Her name wasn't Alice, though. The label on a letter got her.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 1707 UTC »
If Savage was fooling around with Leary during the early Monarch days surely he was a cia asshat I mean asset. Also, funny how folks who would normally find themselves tossed out of the ivy league are saved somehow, my guess is by a three letter agency that has done nothing but harm to the country.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 1729 UTC »
But this comes from Josh who actually admits he thinks  the Monkees were better than the Beatles.  Go figure
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 1738 UTC »
No accounting for taste.

Not only do I consider the beatuls to be tripe, I also consider the doors and elvis just as highly overrated, so how you like me now?

Elvis had it coming tho. When I was a kid, Saturday was the day we looked forward to, a fun filled day of running around and cartoons and so on. But if you woke up on a Saturday morning and elvii was playing from the coffin-like motorola stereo turntable in the living room, your day was ruined. Elvis on Saturday morning meant mom was soon to make her appearance and micromanage you and your bros efforts at the herculean task of room cleaning that would last well after the cartoons had left the air and the only thing left to watch was fessional wrasslin in black and white.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 1943 UTC »
About a year after Elvis died, I was driving through a rustbelt town, a guy had table in an old supermarket lot selling velvet pictures of "Fat Rhinestone Elvis" and "Christ With The Crown of Thorns". I thought it was about the funniest thing I'd ever seen. The next summer on the first anniversary of "The Big E's" death, the pilgrimages to Graceland began.

I hope that guy up in the Youngstown suburbs found out, moved to Memphis, and made his fortune.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 1648 UTC »
No accounting for taste.

Not only do I consider the beatuls to be tripe, I also consider the doors and elvis just as highly overrated, so how you like me now?

Elvis had it coming tho. When I was a kid, Saturday was the day we looked forward to, a fun filled day of running around and cartoons and so on. But if you woke up on a Saturday morning and elvii was playing from the coffin-like motorola stereo turntable in the living room, your day was ruined. Elvis on Saturday morning meant mom was soon to make her appearance and micromanage you and your bros efforts at the herculean task of room cleaning that would last well after the cartoons had left the air and the only thing left to watch was fessional wrasslin in black and white.

Alright Josh, I HAVE to ask ......which musical artist DO you like?  Electric Prunes? Moby Grape??

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 1824 UTC »
When I'm not on the work pc I'll post my 80s and modern rock playlists for you to laugh at.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns