We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Jay Allen's AM Portables Mega Shootout – 2019 Update!  (Read 1533 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
https://radiojayallen.com/am-portables-mega-shootout-2019-update/     Yeah, no real specifications on these radio reviews, but I believe that this is written so that most non-techies can comprehend this. SW, FM, and some LW, (On portables that this applies too.), is covered on these portables as well. Still, a neat read on what's out there. Enjoy!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Radio Jay Allen's AM Portables Mega Shootout – 2019 Update!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 1429 UTC »
His description of the Sangean PR-D5 is a bit misleading, because of the way he worded it.

The PR-D5 is not restricted to 10 khz tuning. It has a 9 khz / 10 khz 'switch' (done through a key sequence).

I think he meant that the PR-D5 doesn't fine tune in 1 khz increments -- which it doesn't. That may be a deal breaker to a lot of guys.

One thing that gets me about these 'shootouts' is that in any case it's always subjective. And like a lot of Panasonic RF-2200 owners, he has an almost maniacal attachment to the radio, which was an OK radio in the mid-1970's, but the build quality basically sucks -- mainly the switches.

It is a good info source for MW radios, though. His collection is also pretty impressive.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).