We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: hfundergrounds wiki pirate list error  (Read 3484 times)

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
hfundergrounds wiki pirate list error
« on: February 23, 2019, 0122 UTC »
Hi, I've never been here before, I generally hang out on part 15 hobby forums, but I happened across your wiki page listing pirate stations and noticed "Radio Sausalito" was included in the list, but they are not a pirate station! They legally operate under part 15 and have been doing so for 20 years! It kind of irked me when I saw that.

I'm interested to hear your comments concerning this.

Also, I haven't examined the list closely but am curious how many part 15 stations you might have listed there. Do you not distinguish between legal unlicensed operators and pirates?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 0126 UTC by tybee »

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: hfundergrounds wiki pirate list error
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2019, 0140 UTC »
It's a wiki. You can edit it. I think that would be more fruitful than complaining, particularly when the station you mention doesn't actually have an entry, just a marker for one.

BTW I'm just a user here, I don't speak for HFU.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 0153 UTC »
"irked me" with all of the problems in this country you are blessed if the is an issue for you.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 0225 UTC »
Well I was just trying to understand it being listed, I'm not familiar about editing a wiki page - mostly I was inquiring why it was there at all.

And Myteaquinn, sorry my post irked you.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 0231 UTC »
Also, I haven't examined the list closely but am curious how many part 15 stations you might have listed there. Do you not distinguish between legal unlicensed operators and pirates?

Did you consider that many 'part 15' stations are run by former pirates, busted or not?  Many folks have a brush or two with HF, and perhaps the station in question has as well.

It is also entirely possible that someone else has used that name for their station, and serendipitously there is a part 15 station using the same name.  There currently is no Wiki article for this station, maybe you should make a page for them and 'set the record straight'...

+-RH
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 0234 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2019, 0247 UTC »
Didn't irk me at all. Actually brought a smile to my face.

Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2019, 0304 UTC »

Did you consider that many 'part 15' stations are run by former pirates, busted or not?  Many folks have a brush or two with HF, and perhaps the station in question has as well.

It is also entirely possible that someone else has used that name for their station, and serendipitously there is a part 15 station using the same name.  There currently is no Wiki article for this station, maybe you should make a page for them and 'set the record straight'...

+-RH

I suppose it's always a possibility another also uses the name, but in Sausalito? They do have a wiki page by the way (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Sausalito, and pretty well known considering it's just a part 15 station. If your interested there's a pretty big compilation of news articles about them from over the last 20 years at https://part15lab.blogspot.com/2018/12/he-just-wanted-to-listen-to-jazz-in.html as well as a general overview.

Myteaquinn, I'm just a leisurely part 15 AM broadcaster hobbyist, when I say it irked me it's only because of the implication of Sausalito's station being illegal.. I could care less if someone pirates or not, it doesn't bother me, but it kind of "irks" me when part 15 and piracy are considered the same thing (although it's true there are those who profess part 15 when they're not).

I like there be a distinction is all.

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 0049 UTC »
I'm really not out to pester you all, but would someone who's already a member to wiki and knows how to do it be willing to edit the Radio Sausalito "placeholder" out of the hfunderfround pirate list for accuracy? I believe I've already provided ample proof pointing to the stations confirmed wiki page as well as numerous published newspaper and magazine and even national TV broadcast news sources and awards to clearly show they are definitely  not a pirate station.

I've browsed around your forum and see a lot of interesting stuff but not really much I could contribute to in discussion. I do however have a bit of an interest in shortwave but currently am not primed to engage.. so perhaps in the future. But as for the present, I'm really not being unreasonable or asking for much.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 0053 UTC by tybee »

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 0226 UTC »
I believe that anyone who's already signed up on HFU can edit the wiki. I just went there and it had my username and password already loaded up.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 0347 UTC »
I believe that anyone who's already signed up on HFU can edit the wiki. I just went there and it had my username and password already loaded up.

Oh.. ok, I see when I clicked login it had my user and password already loaded.. simpler than I thought it would be. However it wasn't necessary for me to edit it. Since my last post someone had already did it. So thanks to whoever did that.

And as more icing on the cake I've learned how easy it is to edit wiki should I ever be compelled to so.

Anyway thanks again.

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 0352 UTC »
And by the way... Upon re-reading my original post I realized I came across a little more asinine than I realized. Which I supposed is why the responses didn't seem too friendly coming back.

Offline Exo

• Coast of northern California
  • HF aficionado.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 0617 UTC »
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 0619 UTC by Exo »
Exo
HF aficionado. On the coast of northern California.
Various receivers, transceivers, and broadband antennas.
kiwiSDR receiver on private LAN for multi-freq HF monitoring.

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 0926 UTC »
Myteaquinn, I'm just a leisurely part 15 AM broadcaster hobbyist, when I say it irked me it's only because of the implication of Sausalito's station being illegal.. I could care less if someone pirates or not, it doesn't bother me, but it kind of "irks" me when part 15 and piracy are considered the same thing (although it's true there are those who profess part 15 when they're not).

It really irks me when someone says "I could care less" when they actually mean the exact opposite.
FYI, It's "I couldn't care less"  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 0932 UTC by Brian »

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2019, 1409 UTC »

It really irks me when someone says "I could care less" when they actually mean the exact opposite.
FYI, It's "I couldn't care less"  ;)

Well actually...

"I couldn't care less" would mean "it's the least I could care"
Whereas, "I could care less" would mean "I could care even less than I do"

But enough of semantics... I don't care if someone decides to pirate the airwaves. It may be an infringement on licensed broadcasters, but if a pirate station manages to draw listeners away from a licensed station it's only because the programming is in some way more appealing.. Legal or not, the more popular station is of course the better one, and it's only the flaws of the less popular station which makes it the loser, but they can do things to improve their operations.. Competition leads to taking actions to improve ones self.. which would actually indirectly help them not hurt them.

How's that?  My whole point was; Pirates aren't licensed stations. Licensed stations aren't pirates. Part 15 stations are neither licensed nor pirates. There are clear distinctions between all three - right? But I'm just rambling now..

I don't care what anybody does as long as it doesn't hurt someone else.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 1413 UTC by tybee »

Offline tybee

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2019, 1420 UTC »

:) part15ers' are protective of their status.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns