We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Six Things Broadcasters Should Know about the PIRATE act  (Read 2089 times)

Offline taschenrechner

• Я робот. Я работаю на заводе.
    • View Profile
Six Things Broadcasters Should Know about the PIRATE act
« on: February 26, 2019, 2141 UTC »
https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/business-and-law/six-things-broadcasters-should-know-about-the-pirate-act

For the second time, the PIRATE Act (H. R. 583) has unanimously passed the U.S. House of Representatives on Monday, Feb. 25.

Although this time it was brought forward early in the first session of the 116th Congress, only time will tell if the Senate will next take up the bipartisan legislation or if it will die in committee, as it did during its first go-around on Capitol Hill.

New York State Broadcasters Association President David Donovan and NAB President/CEO Gordon Smith have been vocal in their support of the PIRATE Act and issued statements that praised the House and urged the Senate to take the steps necessary to make the bill into a law.

WHAT’S IN THE PIRATE ACT, ANYWAY?

In case you need a refresher, the PIRATE Act takes the following steps to combat illegal broadcasting and interference:

• It creates a maximum penalty for illegal broadcasts to $2,000,000 — but also ups the fine allowable to $100,000 per day.
  • The FCC will have to prove it’s working hard to combat piracy and support enforcement by reporting its progress to Congress annually.
  • Biannual “enforcement sweeps” will also be instituted in the top five radio markets, during which personnel will work to on “identifying, locating, and taking enforcement actions designed to terminate such operations.” However, this doesn’t mean the FCC is discouraged from taking enforcement actions throughout the year.
  • It eliminates the notice of unlicensed operation and allows personnel to cut to the chase and issue a notice of apparent liability to alleged violators, unless there is a good reason.
  • The commission will create a new Pirate Radio Broadcasting Database within three months of the legislation’s passage, and it will be updated semiannually. It will contain the stations licensed in the AM and FM bands, including assigned frequency, channel number or call letters. Additionally, the database will identify “entities that have received a notice of unlicensed operation, notice of apparent liability, or forfeiture order issued by the commission.”
  • The PIRATE Act also defines pirate broadcasts as “ the transmission of communications on spectrum frequencies between 535 and 1705 kHz, inclusive, or 87.7 and 108 MHz,” meaning compliant Part 15 operators are clearly excluded.

So, basically what they're saying in the bill is that these stricter measures only apply to AM and FM pirates? I always liked HF better anyway...

Airspy HF+ Discovery, Youloop.  SDR++, GQRX,
QSL to: kj4wna@gmail.com

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Six Things Broadcasters Should Know about the PIRATE act
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 2208 UTC »
So, basically what they're saying in the bill is that these stricter measures only apply to AM and FM pirates? I always liked HF better anyway...

More bang for the buck (or watt) as they say...

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 2212 UTC »
The Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution states: “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.” This amendment prohibits the federal government from imposing unduly harsh penalties on criminal defendants, either as the price for obtaining pretrial release or as punishment for crime after conviction.
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 0011 UTC »
The Eighth Amendment to the United States Constitution states: “Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.” This amendment prohibits the federal government from imposing unduly harsh penalties on criminal defendants, either as the price for obtaining pretrial release or as punishment for crime after conviction.

Anyone want to take them to court?

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 0038 UTC »
In light of all the "Financial Penalties" I'm afraid I must now ask...

Dear Home Listener.....

As you know February is Pledge month for all the public stations in the country.. As you may know we're a Pirate outfit and get most of our funding through Plundering and Pillaging.. How ever we find the cost building new equipment and paying the government imposed financial penalties so you the home listener can enjoy our programs has exceeded our treasure chest.. So we must also turn to Grovelling for Dollars.. Your generous gift allows us the ability to explore new and exciting areas of Pirating. and the ability to afford "Girlfriend Experience Wenches" and to use financial lubrication to prevent detection As a Pirate Radio supporter, You can rely on our trusted fake news and Premier High Fidelity Programming today, tomorrow and in the future. So Mr. or Ms. Home Listener, we are a Pirate Station on the move. We have a super promotional idea that can bring Radio Illuminati from $500 million, to $1 billion in gross revenue. That is not about white power, nor is it about black power. It's about green power! Money! M-O-N-E-Y! We're talking about geometric progression. One... four... eight... 16... the numbers boggle the mind! So in conclusion, all we have to do is to get off the dime, and put this show on the road. Thank you very much.

tAC
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 0604 UTC »
If ya can't do a infrastructure bill ya gotta do something...

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 0813 UTC »
Surprising that they 'Define' what Pirates are to 'them' by stating the 2 frequencies ranges.

I 'Assume' then if operating outside of said frequencies one would not be a pirate?

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Telegrapher

• The Netherlands
  • UVB-76 bought me in the SWL'ing habit.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 1042 UTC »
This sounds to me like they now allow anyone to broadcast on the shortwave spectrum (music, spying, bootlegging, smuggling and a lot more)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.