We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WRVA Richmond Va  (Read 1407 times)

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
WRVA Richmond Va
« on: February 27, 2019, 0415 UTC »
1140 khz @ 0400 utc 27 Feb 19 (2200 cst 26 Feb local) Standard news block, commercial block and station ID @ 0406 followed by a brutal verbal beatdown of Bernie Sanders.  Wonderful signal on the 750.

TX/DX distance 643 miles
NITE TX: 50 kw
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 0419 UTC by East Troy Don »
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: WRVA Richmond Va
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 0402 UTC »
They used to have a great sports talk guy in the evenings in the 70's and 80's. They're not what they used to be, but what radio station is in these days of consolidated markets and syndicated programs?

"It's Sean Hannity 24/7! A Blockhead For The Ages! Just Look At That Skull!"

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 1928 UTC »
Many years ago , I tried to get down to the tower location . I believe, if memory serves and without looking at google maps( adding to my govt dossier) it's on WRVA road.  Off rt 5 on in old bend in the river that got cut off by the civil war *new* channel.
Never made it. Dirt road with water features of unknown depth , not just one either. Like a medieval moat , keeps out the riff raff after dark.  Maybe they paved it or actually put gravel down by now don't know.
If HFUers try it- be known you need a jacked up Dodge truck , Japanese sedans theres a real possibility you'll lose the exhaust system and flood the brakes and cv boots with mud and branch water or possibly aground with the wheels not touching.  So not worth it. I used to live 5 miles from the tx as the crow flies.  Never below S9+40
 hanity. Wish they'd play some green day or something
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 1941 UTC by Davep »
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 1952 UTC »
Get your Hannity on 1040 WHO flamethrower of the midwest!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 2058 UTC »
Jeff Beck, not Glenn Beck!    8)

Offline XmasScotty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 0045 UTC »
If Disney were to create a punk rock band, it's be Green Day....

:-\

Xmas