We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DXing with a Xtal set  (Read 4543 times)

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: DXing with a Xtal set
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 2056 UTC »
Oh what fun they had in the teens and twenties!

DX was a big deal. 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 2046 UTC »
I did a drive by like in the loop video, it was not late enough for dx about 2300z .  You can see why AVC was invented !

What kind of antenna are you using ?
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 2321 UTC »
The hf  antenna 
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 1314 UTC »
I built the Radio Netherlands one meter MW loop on a pvc frame and wooden base about 20 years ago. My wife didn't seem to mind but I wasn't allowed to take it outside or downstairs where the neighbors and the the in-laws might see it.

I never used it on anything but modern superhets I could feed with the coupling loop. There was an interesting thing with that loop, it was resonant on harmonics. You could nail the New Guinea and Indonesian stations with it on 90 meters. I even got Bangla Betar on 4880 kHz on 60 coming over the Pole a few times with that loop.

Then we got a cat who saw it as a toy. That was the end of the loop.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 2012 UTC »
I built the Radio Netherlands one meter MW loop on a pvc frame and wooden base about 20 years ago. My wife didn't seem to mind but I wasn't allowed to take it outside or downstairs where the neighbors and the the in-laws might see it.

I never used it on anything but modern superhets I could feed with the coupling loop. There was an interesting thing with that loop, it was resonant on harmonics. You could nail the New Guinea and Indonesian stations with it on 90 meters. I even got Bangla Betar on 4880 kHz on 60 coming over the Pole a few times with that loop.

Then we got a cat who saw it as a toy. That was the end of the loop.

Was that also the end of the cat ?
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2019, 1849 UTC »
The cat is now a world renowned harpist.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2019, 2135 UTC »
.....Playing at the iconic Pearly Gates  Concert Hall.   SRO.   ;D
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago