We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Antenna Identification needed  (Read 2003 times)

Offline Telegrapher

• The Netherlands
  • UVB-76 bought me in the SWL'ing habit.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Antenna Identification needed
« on: February 15, 2019, 1755 UTC »
Hi all,

I have a portable antenna (from military source) and I wonder what kind of antenna it is, and if possible some instructions as to how to mount / use it for SWL purposes.
See pictures for info.

https://imgur.com/a/LR3dK37

Kind regards,
Telegrapher.

Matt285

Re: Antenna Identification needed
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 1816 UTC »
Do you have another photo? It just kind of looks like wires to my untrained eye. Is there any kind of components with it? What is the length etc?

Offline Telegrapher

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 1851 UTC »
Hey,

I have added a few more with the antenna unplugged from my receiver.

Kind regards,
Telegrapher.

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 2022 UTC »
Not able to see any photos yet.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 2044 UTC »
Three insulators are pictured, my guess is a delta loop configuration.
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 2103 UTC »
Have you unraveled it to see how long it is?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Matt285

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 2116 UTC »
Yes. I only saw the first.

Offline Telegrapher

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 2311 UTC »
Not yet, all I know is that it's long enough to grab on the other side of a 3 stories high building thrown over the roof top. To me it looks like it's designed to throw up in the field like in a evergreen for example to hide it. Since it's color is green and brownish. Easy to carry on-the-go and roll out for portable operations. I'll need a meter to measure the length of it, I don't have anything here at the moment to measure it's total length.. It's likely around 35 - 40ish as the house I threw it over was about 18 meters high. The unusual part to me is the 3 elements on the end of the antenna. I still don't know to this day how to mount them.. Upside or pointed down to the ground, or like the usual horizontal radials in most outdoor antenna systems I see around.. The longer I roll the wire, the better the signal. So it's not really acting like a AM antenna loop. It needs to be stretched out to be effective.

Offline kalvados

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 1312 UTC »
I do not know from which radio station your antenna, but I have a similar one.
Antenna from the Russian military radio station R-105M (R-108M, R-109M). The length is 40 meters. From the technical description of radio stations:
• beam antenna directional length of 40 m, suspended at a height of 1 m above the ground, - to work at elevated distances and from shelters;
• an enhanced antenna consisting of a beam antenna 40 m long lifted from the radio station to a height of 5-6 m, with a gradually decreasing opposite end directed at the correspondent for working at increased distances and from shelters.

https://imgur.com/a/Mlm802k

Offline Telegrapher

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 1816 UTC »
That describes exactly the design I have. Thanks for the clear images. It’s the same design as I have. The only thing is there’s no such plug on the end. Only a stripped wire is hooked up on the device like around a portable sw radios whip antenna. That’s what I mainly use it for. Outside DX purposes are nice with this antenna. Easy to carry and pull out. The description on the second image was all I needed to know. As I wasn’t able to find out how to put this thing in the right directions. Thanks for the information given. Highly appreciated :)

Happy SWLing. Kind regards,
Telegrapher

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns