We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DRM Handbook  (Read 2121 times)

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
Re: DRM Handbook
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 0346 UTC »
DRM, ATSC 3.0, 5G, Fusion Power. It's the future, and always will be.    8)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 1837 UTC »
Analog forever!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 2130 UTC »
Nothing wrong with digital, but who needs hip-hop in AAC or Sebastian Gorka in 4K!

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 2251 UTC »
I have no problem with a robust digital means of transmission.  What I do have a problem with is a system that is no better than the analog it replaced.  In most cases when the digital is no longer listenable, the analog usually is.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 2256 UTC »
I have no problem with a robust digital means of transmission.  What I do have a problem with is a system that is no better than the analog it replaced.  In most cases when the digital is no longer listenable, the analog usually is.

+-RH

My points are thus; no graceful decay of service, and the plethora of competing and sometimes proprietary standards.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 2347 UTC »
Agreed.  You want stereo, add another $2K for codec licensing.  No thanks.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 1227 UTC »
I've never quite understood what problem DRM solves.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 1930 UTC »
Also the lack of inexpensive drm rx boxen for the masses of South America and Africa who still listen to swbc who were the alleged targets for drm. A drm chip and ancillaries is hardly going to be as inexpensive as a diode am rectifier.

All that said, I feel the same way about HAM v/uhf dmr digital voice. I've listened to drm and it does have nice audio but it's based on STANAG 4285 as I recall, and 4285 isn't a weak signal mode either unless run in the 75Bd waveform.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 1620 UTC »
I also never understood DRM's appeal. It would be different if a lot of SW radios had it as an option during the great SW radio boom of the 80's-00's, but that ship has sailed.

I understand DRM is being used fairly successfully in India, as they are slowly replacing their domestic MW network with DRM, and there are actually Indian-made DRM capable MW radios available as well.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 2221 UTC »
There's a much longer tradition in India for people in government to just come out and say this is how it's going to be, and they get away with it. Forcing everyone to buy new ambc radios is just one effort, removing the most popular bills from currency was another.

In contrast, it was bad enough they forced everyone to get new tv sets/tuners in the US for the new digi standard, I don't think forcing am and fm listeners to buy new radios would have gone over well. I never knew how much I missed out being unable to see zits and/or boogers of the stars of stage and screen before.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 1413 UTC »
In contrast, it was bad enough they forced everyone to get new tv sets/tuners in the US for the new digi standard, I don't think forcing am and fm listeners to buy new radios would have gone over well. I never knew how much I missed out being unable to see zits and/or boogers of the stars of stage and screen before.

Forced? Americans are all too happy to throw out the old for the latest and greatest flashy toy, no matter how well the old tech works and regardless of the drawbacks of the new. Anyone who got rid of vinyl LPs and replaced them with CDs were a prime example. With digital TV, at least they gave out vouchers to get a converter box for those who needed one (like myself at the time). Anyway, wait for 5k TV when you'll be able to smell their breath and sweaty pits.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail