We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KARR 6925U excellent signal and audio!  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
KARR 6925U excellent signal and audio!
« on: September 21, 2011, 0207 UTC »
Best I've heard KARR so far!
9/21/11, 6925 USB, 0200z: Some kinda metallish music I don't recognize, sorta like a cross between Dio and Deep Purple, etc.
0206z: KARR Cylon-voice ID
0213z: Another KARR Cylon-voice ID after live metallish tune.
0223z: Off after computer voice ID.

Temp link to 1 minute mp3 with ID (longer audio clip available): http://www.mediafire.com/?aa7w57755poady8

And a temp link to a 12 minute mp3 with two or three IDs: http://www.mediafire.com/?05yn4u29h2t8450

Excellent signal peaks and audio.  Some deep fades, which seems typical for KARR when I've heard 'em before.

Andrew and Rob on FRC noted some buzzing near the IDs.  I didn't notice this until checking my recording, because I usually run a DSP noise reduction unit between the receiver and speaker.  It did sound a bit like a ground loop hum, but might be an artifact of the digital audio filter that produces that Cylon-voice KARR ID.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 0341 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline DimBulb

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • New Hampshire
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KARR 6925U excellent signal and audio!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 0222 UTC »
KARR putting a solid signal into NH this evening, peaking S6-S7 well above the noise.

0221z KARR ID and off...

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 1139 UTC »
Recorder catch:

6925 USB SIO 333-434

Nice clean signal with some fading with great Iron Maiden tunes :)  The buzzing sound isn't KARR's audio; I've been hearing this off & on the frequency lately - you can hear the buzz already going before the Op turns his transmitter on at the begining of my recording.  It's easier to hear during the ID's, but it must be some military/gov. deal.

01:51z Came on with 'Run To The Hills'
01:55z KARR ID
01:56z 'The Clansman'
02:04z ID
02:05z 'Futureal'
02:08z 'Iron Maiden' - live version with B. Dickinson on vocals
02:11z ID
02:12z 'The Trooper'
02:16z 'The Number Of The Beast' - sounded like the Barry Clayton intro was cutting in & out
02:20z ID & off

Audio(complete show): http://www.archive.org/download/ShortwavePirateRadio/Karr6925Usb0151z-0221z09-21-11.mp3

Thanks for the great show KARR! :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 1146 UTC by Sealord »
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 2157 UTC »
Ah, in Sealord's recording I can hear what other listeners were referring to.  Totally different from the comb-filter/vocoder type effect I was hearing during IDs.  Odd, I couldn't hear that at all in my area.  I didn't think my fugloop is directional enough to null out that sort of QRM (tho' it can be oriented to reduce local RFI from specific sources), but maybe it's more directional than I'd given it credit for.

The buzzing sound isn't KARR's audio; I've been hearing this off & on the frequency lately - you can hear the buzz already going before the Op turns his transmitter on at the begining of my recording.  It's easier to hear during the ID's, but it must be some military/gov. deal.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns