We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DDS-60 Direct digital synthesizer  (Read 2515 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
DDS-60 Direct digital synthesizer
« on: September 21, 2011, 2133 UTC »
Recently I put together a DDS-60. DDS stands for Direct Digital Synthesizer. It is a way to generate arbitrary frequencies. Samples are fed to a D/A (Digital to Analog Converter) at a fixed clock rate (in this case 180 MHz derived from a 30 MHz oscillator). These samples are generated by a NCO (Numerically Controlled Oscillator). Think of it as a sine wave being generated point by point, at a fixed (depending on the ratio of the output frequency to the 180 MHz clock) number of degrees per sample. The output frequency can instantly be changed by just altering this degrees per sample value...

Read more: http://www.hfunderpants.com/?p=73
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DDS-60 Direct digital synthesizer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 2131 UTC »
Chris;

A very timely post for me.  My R7 is plagued by 3 annoyances, 2 attributable to old age, and one by design.  I was looking at this a short time ago and decided that the DDS-60 accompanied by an Arduino SBC should be able to solve all three problems.  First, the R7 PTO gearing just reaches the far end of the bathtub curve at some point.  The plastic gears become worn, out of round, and prone to lockup.  Using a DDS to implement a digital VFO would be a nice replacement.  Most likely will just need a simple BPF to get to the spectral purity of a permeability tuned oscillator.  Secondly, the band Up/Down buttons at some point just get tired, and are prone to contact bounce.  No amount of contact cleaner seems to do the trick for very long.  Punch Up, and it can be a guess as to what frequency band you end up on.  Thirdly, the RIT control is difficult to use by design; +/- 2.5kHz in a single turn pot makes it very difficult to use in practice.

An Arduino has a lot of flexibility for $30.  14 IO lines to handle DDS loading, frequency increment/decrement buttons, etc.  One of the on board 10-bit ADCs could be easily used to implement the RIT function and possibly the Passband Tuning function (do I see a joystick here?).  It has EEPROM which can be accessed by the code (written in C) to handle last tuned frequency, memories, etc.  It does have a USB port which is used to download code from the compiler, but which can also be accessed programatically for control by a host program.

All in all, one should be able to put together a great PTO replacement for a lot cheaper than an RV75.

Thanks for the post!
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net