We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Linux distro for sigint  (Read 3800 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Linux distro for sigint
« on: March 20, 2019, 1730 UTC »
SigintOS: A Linux Distro for Signal Intelligence
Recently we've heard of a new Linux distribution called SigintOS becoming available for download. SigintOS is an Ubuntu based distribution with a number of built in signal intelligence applications for software defined radios such as RTL-SDRs and other TX capable SDRs like the HackRF, bladeRF and USRP radios.

The distro appears to be very well executed, with a built in GUI that grants easy access to the some common sigint tools like an FM and GPS transmitter, a jammer, a GSM base station search tool and an IMSI catcher. SigintOS also has various other preinstalled programs such as GNU Radio, gr-gsm, YatesBTS, wireshark and GQRX.

The OS also teases an LTE search and LTE decoder which to access requires that you get in contact with the creators, presumably for a licencing fee. Regarding an LTE IMSI catcher they write:

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/sigintos-a-linux-distro-for-signal-intelligence/
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
Re: Linux distro for sigint
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 0421 UTC »
I put it on a USB and tried it on a 64 bit single core machine with 2.25 Gig ram.
Just before the icons should load a box flashes too fast to read. This site says it needs a dual core and 2 Gigs.

https://medium.com/@tomac/sigintos-a-wireless-pentest-distro-review-a7ea93ee8f8b

I have a dual core machine with 4 Gigs. Will try that next.