We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: How can i pirate radio on 11 Meters?  (Read 8716 times)

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
How can i pirate radio on 11 Meters?
« on: September 27, 2011, 0201 UTC »
I was wondering if there is a way to pirate radio on 11 meters. Such as with a CB radio. Mic to speaker does not sound all that good. I was wondering if there is any possible way to make the quality better. I have looked on youtube about Pirate radio on CB and it sounds pretty good. But I just do not know how these people do it.

cmradio

Re: How can i pirate radio on 11 Meters?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 0902 UTC »
Problem with pirating broadcast on 11 is within a couple of hours, you'll find burly guys with tire irons at your door :-X
(been there)

Peace!

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 2055 UTC »
Lol you mean the FCC or people that are on the cb and get mad at you for pirating on 11 M? 

Well how did you pirate on 11 M? I only broadcast for a half hour or a hour at the most.

Offline uhclem

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 2235 UTC »
Well, in order to fit the loosest definition of "pirate", you would need to:

A. Obtain an 11m transmitter

B. Familiarize yourself with Part 95 of the FCC regulations.

C. Break one of them.

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 2354 UTC »
Well I have a CB radio which is 11M. But I was wondering how to hook up music directly into the cb.

Offline Northern Relay Service

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 0033 UTC »
I am of the opinion that 11meters above 27.500 mhz is some of the best pirate territory to be had in a regular solar cycle. I have a few times in the past 6 months transmitted on or about 28.950 AM and got positive results. But this cycle has been a big let down so far. I was looking forward to doing a lot of broadcasting up there . I guess there is time yet for the cycle to improve.

When 11 meters is hot it is incredible . I have worked every part of the world on the free band above 27.5 mhz in cycles past . It would be open from early morning to late evening day in and day out. This cycle we are lucky to get an hours opening .

What you need to do is find yourself a older rig which has the 11m band on it that you can feed audio into.. Back in the day 11m used to be a amateur radio band until it was confiscated to conduct a social experiment that went terribly wrong. An attempt to placate all those people who didn't want to get their ham tickets and just wanted to talk around town. The only problem was that the idiots who thought up this hair brain idea hadn't taken into consideration skip during peak cycle. They should have just given them something like 72mhz or 49 mhz where skip is rare. Citizens band could have been useful then.

Offline uhclem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 0037 UTC »
You need to school yourself on some very basic electronics. Even if we told you step-by-step, it wouldn't really help without that knowledge. I'm willing to bet that the pirates (and most everyone else in here) really know their radio and if they aren't closet hams they would very easily pass the test. It's because they love radio. I fell in love listening to my grandmothers giant tube 1936 Westinghouse set when I was 7. I've been taking things apart ever since, I put them back together sometimes. Successfully even. You obviously have the radio bug too, welcome! Now start taking things apart!

Offline The Hokie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 0142 UTC »
You need to school yourself on some very basic electronics. Even if we told you step-by-step, it wouldn't really help without that knowledge. I'm willing to bet that the pirates (and most everyone else in here) really know their radio and if they aren't closet hams they would very easily pass the test. It's because they love radio. I fell in love listening to my grandmothers giant tube 1936 Westinghouse set when I was 7. I've been taking things apart ever since, I put them back together sometimes. Successfully even. You obviously have the radio bug too, welcome! Now start taking things apart!

I'd agree with this. Get your hands on as much beginning literature about ham radio as possible - you want to know why the band does what it does, how to keep your signal clean, what frequencies to avoid as a pirate, etc.

Armed with that knowledge, a good, used 100W ham rig might not be a bad investment, as ones that can be modified for all-band transmit are plentiful and cheap.
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline The Hokie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 0144 UTC »
I am of the opinion that 11meters above 27.500 mhz is some of the best pirate territory to be had in a regular solar cycle. I have a few times in the past 6 months transmitted on or about 28.950 AM and got positive results. But this cycle has been a big let down so far. I was looking forward to doing a lot of broadcasting up there . I guess there is time yet for the cycle to improve.

This past week has been amazing for DX on 10m, reminiscent of Cycle 23 (until we got the remains of a CME the past few days, the A index has shot up to 27 and alle ist kaput  >:( )

Would love it if we got another 2-3 years of what last week was, though.
The machine does not isolate us from the great problems of nature but plunges us more deeply into them. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 0234 UTC »
Well thank you guys. What i have been doing to broadcast on 11 M. I have just been putting my Turner plus three power mic near the two speakers and i play audio and have a live show on my modified CB rig. I have the antenna up 41 ft in the air. It is all ready to go I am on 26.065 (Channel 1 on a CB.) I come in through the whole tri state pretty clear.

cmradio

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 0530 UTC »
Lol you mean the FCC or people that are on the cb and get mad at you for pirating on 11 M?  

Well how did you pirate on 11 M? I only broadcast for a half hour or a hour at the most.

Other CB'ers.

Our foxhunts (hide a transmitter, people try and find it) could last only 15 minutes with a poorly hidden TX. Half hour is about 20 minutes too long from a base station.

It is all ready to go I am on 26.065 (Channel 1 on a CB.) I come in through the whole tri state pretty clear.

Four channels you want to avoid broadcasting on CB:

1 and 19 (calling/travellers en-route channels)
9 (still used for emergency in areas with no cell service)
23 (can still be pre-empted for special events)

Peace!

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 1519 UTC »
Oh ok thanks. Yeah I will stay away from channel 1 then. 26.065 instead i will go up to channel 35. 27.355 I think it is.

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 1524 UTC »
Besides, when skip comes up channel 35 (27.355) is killer on skip not locals though only for like areas like Tennessee and down south. I should pick up some decent skip there.  :)

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 2253 UTC »
CB channels...like they say...drivers DFing you and yellin ITS THE GUY IN THE RED TRUCK BLOWIN 4 PILS AND A YELLIN AT US and such within minutes.  Plus there are a zillion low power CBs making for a noise filled band.  You won't do much without hundreds of watts and a big base antenna. 
10 meters though is much clearer and chance of covering hundreds of miles is good with just tens of watts.  Don't even try a CB channel.  You just won't get out unless you become one of those crazy channel 6 southern guys and that would cost a lot of money.

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 2337 UTC »
Ok the radio that I have is modified and the modulation has been turned to 100%. Plus the antenna that I have is a big base antenna. 10 meters huh? Hmm.....

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns