We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UnID 3860 LSB 0713 UTC March 24, 2019 - Non Ham Broadcasting Going On  (Read 1846 times)

Offline gccradio2019

• View Profile
I just tuned into a ham radio frequency of 3.860 MHz LSB, and I am hearing oldies music, and old time radio, and these ham radio operators are not identifying themselves, and it has been going on since 0600 UTC, and there are 2 different transmissions playing simultaneously.      Listening in Virginia Beach, Virginia via Web SDR in Washington DC.  I wish that these stations would just cease operation if they cannot identify themselves like real ham radio operators do.   Somethings got to be done about this.   I remember that hams ID themselves every 15 minutes, 30 minutues, and on top of the hour.     This sounds like pirate radio activity to me than ham radio operations. 

Offline digitalmod

• Cherokee Foot Hills, SC
  • Freedom includes Radio Broadcasting
    • View Profile
    • Email
 Being an EX Hamo-Lite, yes, ID should be at ten minutes in US, Canada 30 minutes (Canada always more generous). A pirate using any ham frequency during day light, at risk as FCC has commissioned the auxiliary to be as good as Staff DF . But, I digress HR is a bore and dying, only turds and nerds find it interesting way to waste time. BTW 3860 is a badboy CB frequency as I recall?
 :-X
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 1208 UTC by digitalmod »
Radio is dying. We need to give it shelter

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
We call this "Hams Behaving Badly"  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline gccradio2019

• View Profile
Early this morning about 0700 UTC, it was a total mess,   There were different LSB transmissions going on simultanously.  One was playing a oldies radio station that sounded like it was dugged out of the radio archives like from the late 50's, and the radio station was from a AM radio station that was located in St. Louis, Missouri, and it was playing oldies music from that era, and they were airing old commericals, and other stuff.    The other radio station was playing some oldies music, and techno music and it was constantly interferring with the archived radio broadcast that some UnID station was playing.      There was no way to pin point where the transmissions were coming from, so they were was pretty clandestine, hidden, and mysterious "non ham" and operators behaving badly transmissions.     

Right now I am monitor these transmissions often around 1700 UTC to 0100 UTC on 7.2 MHz and 0100 UTC to 0800 UTC on 3.860 MHz, and in order to hear these transmissions, you need a real good short wave outdoor antenna, and a good well built receiver or listen in on many other Web SDR's for these transmissions.  They are not hard to do.   I don't mind having fun logging them, but when I try to log them, there is no way to find out where they are coming from, these transmissions have very poor QTH, and sometimes I wonder if they are just Studio To Transmitter links to a remote part 15 AM transmitter that operates during the weekends.

What do you have to say about this type?   I know they are behaving badly, but maybe they are not, they are doing something that one day, they might end up doing a digital (DRM) transmission on this frequency in the future to send a audio feed to a remote AM station.