We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Kids doing test counts on HF-GCS, 22 March, 2019  (Read 1935 times)

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Kids doing test counts on HF-GCS, 22 March, 2019
« on: March 25, 2019, 1536 UTC »
The HF-GCS (High Frequency Global Communications System) is an integral part of US military readiness.  For those unfamiliar, this is a US Air Force maintained global communications network consisting of multiple transmitters at multiple transmitter sites around the world.  Although the USAF maintains it, all US services, and sometimes NATO forces, can use it.  This is the radio network that transmits Skykings and EAMs, among other traffic.

Among its regular transmissions are test counts and radio tests, typically heard many times per day.  And, while the USAF personnel running the mic can sometimes sound a bit young, March 22, 2019 had some younger than average sounding voices.

I don't know if it was a command open house, or just a take your kids to work day, but two test counts in a row, starting at about 1826 UTC, were kids voices.  Whatever the circumstances it was quite cool, and a reminder that the folks making up the armed forces, all armed forces, are humans, many with children of their own.

This is not the first time kids voices have been heard on HF-GCS, but it is the first time I caught a recording of it.

A video of my recording here, unfortunately I missed the start of each transmission.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPtrbAyPCQQ

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kids doing test counts on HF-GCS, 22 March, 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 1614 UTC »
Very cool, nice catch!
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 1656 UTC »
Token - yesterday 3/22 about 1800z I was doing work but had a radio pegged on 11175khz and copied a very young sounding YL with a typical EAM broadcast - I didn't think much of it at the time but when I read your post it made me think that it probably was a "kid" - I'm 57 so a 25 year old could sound like a kid to me.  Hah!
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 2213 UTC »
That was great. I don't know what I would have thought if I had come across that just scanning the bands.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 0045 UTC »
Great catch! Was it "bring your kids to work day"?  :)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 1806 UTC »

courtesy smolinksi news corporation llc
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.