We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 1748KHz 04-Apr-2019 1632Z  (Read 1518 times)

Offline cj468

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
UNID 1748KHz 04-Apr-2019 1632Z
« on: April 04, 2019, 1832 UTC »
After my post in the broadcast re: BBC on 1779KHz last night I heard another station today this time on 1748Khz. Couldn't identify the station or be precise about the language (poss Spanish or Italian but may way off). Again signal was strong (SINPO-44343) but faded later. Program seemed to be
1632 - OM reading news?
1634 - jingles / ads ?
1635 - OM & YL talking over background music
I checked back just before the top of the hour hoping to get a id. By then the signal had faded but there was some Chinese (or at least 'Oriental') sounding music. The signal either faded completed or went off at 1700Z.

Again I couldn't find anything via Google on this frequency - seems to be outside normal broadcast bands.  I am slightly suspicious of whether this (and the BBC one) are true signals or ''strange harmonics" or something. I tried a couple of webSDR sites in the London area but didn't seem to be able to find this broadcast on them.

Appreciate any advice as I try to learn more about SWL.

Thanks
QTH: S.E. UK

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: UNID 1748KHz 04-Apr-2019 1632Z
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 2127 UTC »
What rig are you using to copy this transmission?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline cj468

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 1122 UTC »
Hi Josh
Using a XHData D808 portable with an indoor random length (about 8m) long wire. As I mentioned on my initial post on HFU I am kind of new to SWL so still learning. It's probably some spurious signals I am picking up. I am just a little confused because it only seems to be the past couple of days I have received anything in the frequency range and I don't anything has changed in my set-up.

Online Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 1607 UTC »
Hello cj468,

BBC on 1779 kHz is most probably a result of overloading in you receiver.
For now, try to find if those strange signals are from strong MW stations nearby, using a second receiver to identify the stations.

The overloading can also be from SW stations, much more difficult to find.

It can be also from FM stations, but then the signals would seems weird.

D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
***** Mes pages OEM sont bloquées par "le club", alors pour les recevoir, joignez-moi par les autres membres ****

Offline cj468

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 1127 UTC »
Hi Ray

Thanks for response. Looking like these are some spurious induced / overload signals. Earlier today I checked the frequency range I am getting these signals just before the top of the hour (guessed it would be a good to get a station id) and heard an interval signal. On the hour the Radio Romania International French service began. I check against the real frequencies RRI was broadcasting in French on at the time and the programming was the same.

I guess I'll either just ignore them or look to adjusting the antenna to try and remove these signal.

cj468