We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: EXPERTS PREDICT A LONG, DEEP SOLAR MINIMUM:  (Read 4339 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
EXPERTS PREDICT A LONG, DEEP SOLAR MINIMUM:
« on: April 12, 2019, 0954 UTC »
f you like solar minimum, good news: It could last for years. That was one of the predictions issued last week by an international panel of experts who gathered at NOAA's annual Space Weather Workshop to forecast the next solar cycle. If the panel is correct, already-low sunspot counts will reach a nadir sometime between July 2019 and Sept 2020, followed by a slow recovery toward a new Solar Maximum in 2023-2026.

"We expect Solar Cycle 25 will be very similar to Cycle 24: another fairly weak maximum, preceded by a long, deep minimum," says panel co-chair Lisa Upton, a solar physicist with Space Systems Research Corp.

"Here," she says, "is a figure showing the last minimum and where we are with the current minimum."

"As you can see – we haven't quite reached the lowest levels of the last cycle – where we experienced several consecutive months with no sunspots. However, the panel expects that we should reach those levels [between now and the end of 2020]."

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: EXPERTS PREDICT A LONG, DEEP SOLAR MINIMUM:
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 1627 UTC »
Hmmm...it might be time to buy that bigger generator, and a larger transmitter :)

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 1808 UTC »
Solar minimum is why there are cobwebs on my IC-7300, and why I've purchased a lot of new gear for my U/VHF radio setup.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 1839 UTC »
Time to get familiar with the extreme low power modes like wspr and so on and so forth.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 1750 UTC »
Get a high powered megaphone, you mo-rons!

When I was in my teens my cousin Dave built a low-power MW tx so we could reach the large park and new mall across the river from his house. Both were big hangouts for people our age. The river was roughly a third of a mile across there. Dave lived on the  riverbank, we thought it would be dead easy to hit that park and the mall parking lot? We were going to be teen heroes and get all the girls. Wrong. You couldn't hear us at my cousin Ed's house 150 yards away. We'd have been better off buying a piece of crap PA system, putting a speaker in the window, and cranking it to the max.

Live and learn.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 1831 UTC »
Time to get familiar with the extreme low power modes like wspr and so on and so forth.

Absolutely. In fact, WSPR is about the only mode that gives me any kind of result on HF these days. (I'm one of those heretics who, while loving digital modes, doesn't care for JT65 and FT8).

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 1832 UTC »
When I was in my teens my cousin Dave built a low-power MW tx so we could reach the large park and new mall across the river from his house.

I love stories like these! Thanks for sharing it.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 2040 UTC »
I can't believe our illustrious porcine friend couldn't get propa across the river. Must have been doing it wrong.

A friend did a similar stunt when he was a teen in Iowa. He and a friend ran a long wire over the tops of some trees, a few thousand feet out, fed with 10w or so, they got qsl cards from Canada.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline i_hear_you

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 1911 UTC »
We'd have been better off buying a piece of crap PA system, putting a speaker in the window, and cranking it to the max.

Funny and profound. Not all waves are created equal.