We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: Antennas for covert install.  (Read 93 times)

Offline dwhacks

• View Profile
    • Email
Antennas for covert install.
« on: April 12, 2019, 1917 UTC »
So, I'm wanting to build a few solar powered beacons to stick on mountain tops. They've gotta be kinda covert so people dont mess with them if found so I'm wondering what kind of antenna I could use that would be cheap and easy. It seems like either a halfwave dipole or an end fed is the most common, but it makes for a pretty long wire/rope.

Any ideas? what have others done?

BTW i've had a little solar beacon on the air for a few months now, but I haven't seen any reports. Its on ~135572 but isn't extremely stable. PIE @ 10wpm. Located in Grand Forks BC, Canada, right on the Washington border.

Offline R4002

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Antennas for covert install.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 1910 UTC »
You want to set up multiple beacons?  Awesome.

In addition to a 22m beacon, you should set up beacons for higher and lower frequencies.  The 2, 4, 6 and 8 MHz bands are popular.  I also recommend setting up a beacon on 11 meters as that can have some spectacular results (well, it will when the solar cycle picks back up again). 

In regards to stealth or covert antennas, wire antennas are the way to go.  Since you're dealing with low power transmitters you don't need a thick wire.  The humble 1/2 wave dipole is a sure bet, but there are other options too depending on what limitations you have.   
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/scanners/receivers