We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New Production Computer  (Read 1707 times)

Offline XmasScotty

• View Profile
New Production Computer
« on: April 14, 2019, 0716 UTC »
Bought a new computer to make shows, skits, liners, etc. for my current Fm station and future AM project. Bigger, faster Win machine that'll never see the internet after I finish installing everything I need to. Used Cool Edit Pro before as my software of choice. No longer have it, looking for good production software with not much of a learning curve.  Your ideas, suggestions, etc.

Xmas

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
Re: New Production Computer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 1310 UTC »
You should get lots of positive responses, but I can't think of one...    :)

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 0056 UTC »
I've been recording broadcasts off the radio for years & editing clips using Goldwave. I've never had a reason to consider switching
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 1729 UTC »
The free choice is usually audacity, although it has some annoying quirks, and the audio quality usually suffers.  Mixdowns often have clipping in them, and a lot of strange things had to be done to dance around Adobe's patents.  A cracked version of CoolEdit or early Adobe Audition is probably where I would go.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 1049 UTC »
The free choice is usually audacity, although it has some annoying quirks, and the audio quality usually suffers.  Mixdowns often have clipping in them, and a lot of strange things had to be done to dance around Adobe's patents.  A cracked version of CoolEdit or early Adobe Audition is probably where I would go.

+-RH

Oddly, I have one of those cracked versions of "Cool Edit". It drifted down my chimney. It wasn't even Christmas.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 1613 UTC »
Funny how that works sometimes....

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: New Production Computer. Editing? I use Audacity.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 1922 UTC »
 The crew of Berkeley Liberation Radio got me into using Audacity years ago, and it works great for me. Even to add more pep into the audio, (Like into a 1/2-ass produced Amateur Radio Newsline.), I love the compression features as well. And it works superb on Linux formats as well, if not better.  https://www.audacityteam.org/about/features/editing/     Give it a try. It's free, pretty intuitive, and does not take up much hard drive space at all. The hardest part is the initial set-up to where you want everything to sound as an end product. Pretty gravy after that. I have it on all my computers with WIN XP, VISTA, WIN 8, Ubuntu 14.04, and Mac OS X10.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.