We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WWV/WWVH slow demise?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
WWV/WWVH slow demise?
« on: April 21, 2019, 1817 UTC »
I noticed the other month that both WWV & WWVH have both discontinued the Pacific Weather bulletins usually broadcast around 47 minutes past the hour, this has been a staple of WWV & WWVH for more years than I can remember.

Many a night while I was living in the Central Pacific islands was spent tuned to WWVH for the Pacific weather reports, now it has gone for good, the announcement now refers you to a web site, great if you have reliable access to the internet in the more remote areas of the Pacific, thanks, but no thanks.

It appears they are slowly chipping away at the edges of both WWV & WWVH on the road to total termination of the services in total. Nothing is sacred on shortwave radio these days, nothing! >:(
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: WWV/WWVH slow demise?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 1910 UTC »
The War Department now has broadcasts on WWV, I doubt it's going away any time soon.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 2314 UTC »
I noticed the other month that both WWV & WWVH have both discontinued the Pacific Weather bulletins usually broadcast around 47 minutes past the hour, this has been a staple of WWV & WWVH for more years than I can remember.

Many a night while I was living in the Central Pacific islands was spent tuned to WWVH for the Pacific weather reports, now it has gone for good, the announcement now refers you to a web site, great if you have reliable access to the internet in the more remote areas of the Pacific, thanks, but no thanks.

It appears they are slowly chipping away at the edges of both WWV & WWVH on the road to total termination of the services in total. Nothing is sacred on shortwave radio these days, nothing! >:(

Nothing could be further from the truth, I'm happy to report. This past Wednesday night I got to see a presentation at the Denver Radio Club by Matt Deutch NØRGT, one of WWV's longtime electrical engineers. He's going to be repeating it at Hamvention in Ohio next month, but one of the things he went over was their funding. There was a pretty big outcry at the news that they were proposing to defund it. Never mind hams who like using those signals to gauge the ionosphere; scientists and schools use all those signals for various things. The latter in particular invest in "atomic" clocks that synchronize to WWVB and were up in arms that they would suddenly be useless. Anyway, he said that they all heard enough that he's confident that their funding is secure for the foreseeable future.

The weather reports, he said, were dropped because there were potential liability issues. They had three minutes per hour to give information, and he brought up that there might be more bad weather on the seas than could be reported on in that time - while steering ships away from those hurricanes, they could potentially be driven into tropical storms. I'll emphasize that I believe he was seemed to have been giving more of an informed impression than reporting a known decision, but he was also giving it publicly as a representative of WWV, so take it for what it's worth.

And as Josh points out, we're getting new DOD broadcasts. In fact I think they were supposed to begin this weekend. I'll have to try to remember to tune in.

Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline jta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 2334 UTC »
Bring back VNG!

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 1816 UTC »
1810 UTC DOD exercise announcement @1810   4/26/19  15000 kHz  Yl voice

Actually reception is crap at this time on 10 and 15 MHZ    i couldn't hear much but the announcements are there
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns