We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Celtics great John Havlicek dies at 79  (Read 1859 times)

Fansome

Celtics great John Havlicek dies at 79
« on: April 26, 2019, 0324 UTC »
I know, not my usual thing, but, d*mn! One of the greatest players in history. RIP

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Celtics great John Havlicek dies at 79
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 0454 UTC »
Yep, and he was the sixth man for much of his career, too. That team was loaded in that era. No wonder the slow of wit and foot Lakers of that time couldn't defeat the Great Red God and Bill Russell.

Where did I put that box of Hoyo de Monterrey Double Coronas? Red lighting one up in L.A. after another championship was one of the sweetest smells there was. You grew up in L.A., Al, tell us what it was like?

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 1205 UTC »

It was like this, "Havlicek stole the ball......."  ;)
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 1606 UTC »

It was like this, "Havlicek stole the ball......."  ;)

LMAO!

If the three point shot had existed then, Havlicek would have never came off the floor. That guy had range on that jumper. I loved the Celtics in that era and Red's antics with those cigars. Once he lit the stogie, he was telling the other team it was over.

Russell was my favorite on that team. He won a championship as a player/coach after Red stepped into management full time. Bill didn't put up Chamberlain like points, but they didn't need him to. Russell was a shot-blocking, rebounding machine, who could throw an outlet pass like a modern NFL QB throwing a to receiver on a post route.

NBA players in that era played in a haze of smoke, from the guys on the bench taking a smoke break when they were sitting, to every other fan in the place smoking. From Junior High on, you played in a tobacco created fog. You got used to it, if you weren't already immune from the folks smoking at home.

The Lakers did have Elgin Baylor, a helluva a combo forward. That first step and his deep corner jumpers were something to behold. Other than that, they didn't stand a chance on God's Own Parquet court. West could throw up some slop late that might draw iron, but the rest of his game was pure luck. ;)

For some reason Al still worships West? Must be due to his "Blue Boy" phase, lost in a fog of goofballs in that era.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 2151 UTC »
Rest In Peace "Hondo".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 2154 UTC by Traveling Wave »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 1411 UTC »
NBA players in that era played in a haze of smoke, from the guys on the bench taking a smoke break when they were sitting, to every other fan in the place smoking. From Junior High on, you played in a tobacco created fog. You got used to it, if you weren't already immune from the folks smoking at home.

A few years ago Pathe Canada posted restored newsreel footage from the 1919 World Series. Even in open air there was a very visible haze from all the cigar smoke. It was neat because there's debate over whether one of the plays that was filmed was one of the ones where a White Sox player was deliberately blowing the play, along with some aerial footage that makes it the earliest known flyover footage of a pro sporting event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mPHqbJXDQI
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 1556 UTC »
For some reason Al still worships West? Must be due to his "Blue Boy" phase, lost in a fog of goofballs in that era.

While nibbling goofballs off of Grace Slick's stomach following the Airplane's appearance at the Hollywood Bowl, Al noticed a red, white, and blue Grateful Dead tattoo on the lady's right hip.  In his goofball enchanced state, he did not recognize what the tattoo was from his upside down viewing.  The next day while accompanying Janis Joplin to courtside seats at the Fablous Forum, Al sketched said tatttoo for Ms. Jolpin in an attempt to ID.  Still wearing her vodka goggles from the previous evening, Ms. Joplin waved one arm back and forth along the Laker bench and said, "it looks like him".  Al 's Grace Slick-inspired-goofball haze was still kicking a bit and decided to write down the player with the shortest name on their back (West) under the artwork.  A freelance designer was sitting next to Al and offered him a Tab and a box of milkduds (Al thought they were chocolate covered goofballs) for his artwork as the designer was charged with coming up with an NBA logo.  In the second half, an appreciative Al snapped a picture of West with his ever handy polaroid (after stashing the Grace Slick negatives in his shirt pocket) and handed it to the designer. The league and designer made millions off the logo, Al still needs $2.00 to get cross town to sell chocolate covered goofballs (he tells people they are milk duds) in front of the Staples Center.  Jerry West told Al he's still pleading his case.  Grace Slick remains confused on whether she spent an evening with Jerry Slick, Jerry West, or Jerry Garcia and whether Al or the Walrus (coo-coo-ca-choo) was the third.  Rumor has it an arbitrator may rule that Al must spend an evening with Belinda and do a finger painting of what ever he finds on her, then Commissioner Silver will be obligated to use it as the new G League logo.  Al will be entitled to all royalties of said image tattooed on WNBA players.

https://www.logodesignlove.com/nba-logo-jerry-west
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 1759 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 2101 UTC »
That sounds about like I remember it, Yankee. I had an interesting run-in with the Logo not long after he retired, the details of which I'll send to you via pm later. A fella has to have his secrets.

I've attend a lot of outdoor sports events over the decades from Little League to NFL Playoff games. Up until about 1990 someone telling a guy smoking a stogie to put it out stood a good chance of getting punched. Security guys were loathe to ask them to stop because they were going to get reamed out for doing it. They would point to the person that was offended which caused a bigger ruckus.

It was a manlier world then.

Fansome

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 2046 UTC »
You people will burn for showing such disrespect for my buddy Jerry.

And, let me remind you that basketball was invented in California, at a small engineering school in Pasadena.

That sounds about like I remember it, Yankee. I had an interesting run-in with the Logo not long after he retired, the details of which I'll send to you via pm later. A fella has to have his secrets.

I've attend a lot of outdoor sports events over the decades from Little League to NFL Playoff games. Up until about 1990 someone telling a guy smoking a stogie to put it out stood a good chance of getting punched. Security guys were loathe to ask them to stop because they were going to get reamed out for doing it. They would point to the person that was offended which caused a bigger ruckus.

It was a manlier world then.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 2333 UTC »
Basketball wasn't 'invented', that's like saying Golf was 'invented'.
If the fewer times you hit the ball...   nevermind.