We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Power output of MX beacons?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Power output of MX beacons?
« on: March 08, 2021, 2345 UTC »
I suppose this is information that is beyond obscure, but has anyone ever seen a reference that might define the power output of the various MX beacons?

Hard to imagine they'd intentionally run huge power given their stated purpose.

Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Re: Power output of MX beacons?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 0342 UTC »
This has been debated before, would probably range between 15 and maybe 100w on an A1A emission. No one has ever found out, be interesting to know as they are good propagation indicators for me.

The antenna array used would be very interesting too. Especially on the 20MHz and 3MHz transmissions.

Currently been getting "A" Astrakhan on 20.048.1MHz nearly every afternoon for around the last two weeks, sometimes "F" Vladivostok joins it on 20.048.2MHz but is never that strong being 319 report and in/out, where Astrakhan is very steady peaking 539 at best.

Another mystery is "V" Khiva in Uzbekistan, I hear it strong on 3.227.0MHz early mornings up to 559 report but its sister on 3.657.0MHz is very much weaker around 310 to 419 report at the same time. Different antenna or different power levels?

Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 2204 UTC »
Thanks for the comments. Those power levels would make sense (to the extent that any of this makes sense) given their purported purpose.  At those levels, and keeping in mind their mission , I'd guess the antenna systems are not extravagant, but who knows?

Thank you for your logs of them here. They finally got me interested in trying to logthem. It's interesting to listen/watch  them over time on my Kiwi given their regular presence. I've only heard some of the LF versions so far, but they are regular visitors in the early evening here.  When I get my rotator fixed on my tribander I'll be in a better position to listen for the upper HF versions.

We have to thank the Soviets for leaving perplexing HF signals scattered around the spectrum to listen for and ponder.  :-)

Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 2311 UTC »
I've been thinking about this topic for a while. From what I had read the beacons were used by the Russian Navy as propagation indicators and channel markers. If so, they would want radiated power similar to the ships and airplanes that might be looking to use a particular frequency to contact their bases. Antenna arrays might be omni unless they wanted to designate channels paired with particular areas of operation and employ directional arrays.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half