We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Omni Rig and SDR tuning lag  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Todd Vanderbilt

• View Profile
    • Email
Omni Rig and SDR tuning lag
« on: May 16, 2019, 1500 UTC »
Hello Folks,

I’m using an Icom R75, SDRPlay Rsp1 and HDSDR/Omni rig. Everything works great expect for one thing: as I tune via VFO on the R75, the tuning needle on HDSDR lags behind. I’ve set Omni rig to poll the R75 at the fastest setting. 200ms, it is still not terribly usable.

Yes, I can mouse click on HDSDR to choose singnals, but that’s not my preferred way of tuning.  Maybe I want a receiver with a built in panadapter. Or, maybe I should be using rig control software and not an SDR?

Am I going about it this all wrong? Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks.
Philadelphia, PA
QSLs: w3yhf.ham@gmail.com
Yaesu Ft-991A, Icom R75
W6LVP Magnetic Loop

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Omni Rig and SDR tuning lag
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 1615 UTC »
I use Omni-rig and have not experienced the delay you described. The setting for my TS480 poll int. rate is 100ms. An internet search provided the following...◾In OmniRig set the Poll Int. ms (polling interval in milliseconds) to 100 (or lower if supported). If you do not set a low polling interval the response will be sluggish.
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 2130 UTC »
You might look into a mod to get at the first IF of the Icom, then bring that out to the sdr, tune the sdr to that freq, and never have to tune it again as it is always staring at that IF sig. Icom rigs of old had these IF outs built in from the factory.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Todd Vanderbilt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 0314 UTC »
I set the polling speed to 100ms.  It is much improved.  Not perfect, but much better.  I do wonder if the newer SDR rigs like IC-R8600 are perfectly synchronized.  I would hope so.
Philadelphia, PA
QSLs: w3yhf.ham@gmail.com
Yaesu Ft-991A, Icom R75
W6LVP Magnetic Loop