We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ICOM IC R-75 external speaker  (Read 3531 times)

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
ICOM IC R-75 external speaker
« on: May 16, 2019, 2144 UTC »
Just landed a used R75 on EBAY - should get it within a few days.   Looking for any recommendations for an external speaker to pair up.   Any ideas?
Thanks
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ICOM IC R-75 external speaker
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 2156 UTC »
I got the R-75 when they announced they were discontinuing. Great radio but I guess you already know how disappointing the speaker is. The External speaker Icom sells for the R-75 is (was) over $200, screw that. I got a fairly cheap pair of generic speakers off Amazon that were an improvement.
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 2227 UTC »
Ive used home stereo speakers from garage sales and closeouts for ages but have to admit my fav for just about anything, from scanners to hf ssb voice to swl, have been the rat shack minimus series. These tiny things are amazing. Also, get yourself a good set of phones, you will not be disappointed. Try to get the kind that enclose the ear, not compress on it, makes for longer listening periods sans fatigue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrgGEdbWBSg
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 0303 UTC »
Thanks guys.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Todd Vanderbilt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 0311 UTC »
I have several Radio Shack Optimus speakers that I picked up used.
Philadelphia, PA
QSLs: w3yhf.ham@gmail.com
Yaesu Ft-991A, Icom R75
W6LVP Magnetic Loop

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 1202 UTC »
Don,

Take a look at the MFJ 722B Optimizer.  It does a good job of filtering out the jumble (especially on the crowded
AM broadcast band).  The MFJ along with a set of headphones will work well for serious DXing.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 1351 UTC »
I use a Fender Frontman 15G guitar amp I picked up from the second hand store for about $15 plugged into one of my iMacs (which runs the AFE822x SDR). Previously I used it with one of my knobbed radios. Might want to consider looking for something like that? It has tone controls, which can be useful. 

I made a simple patch cable with an isolation transformer to cut out ground loop 60 Hz hum.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Todd Vanderbilt

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 1411 UTC »
I also use a West Mountain Radio CLRdsp  with my R75, even though I have the onboard DSP filter.   The CLRdsp has a small amp and gives you the DSP with tone control which is quite helpful. 
Philadelphia, PA
QSLs: w3yhf.ham@gmail.com
Yaesu Ft-991A, Icom R75
W6LVP Magnetic Loop

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 1544 UTC »
Great suggestions .   Thanks again everyone.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 1858 UTC »
I still like rocking HF rigs with Radio Shack Nova-15's. Great voice tonal quality in all modes. Certainly sound fan-freakin'-tastic on the Kenwood rigs, and brought out the AM quality on an IC-735, (To my surprise!) Less than 1W powers these speakers nicely. https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13595
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 1948 UTC »
I still like rocking HF rigs with Radio Shack Nova-15's. Great voice tonal quality in all modes. Certainly sound fan-freakin'-tastic on the Kenwood rigs, and brought out the AM quality on an IC-735, (To my surprise!) Less than 1W powers these speakers nicely. https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13595

Lol I always wondered what model mine was! I got it in the late 80s and have used it on anything I wanted good audio from. Carried from state to state even. The rat shack at 90th and Dodge in Omaha had it by itself on clearance with a bunch of other stuff, it was cheap so didn't hesitate. For some reason the cloth cover thingy likes to walk off the cabinet after a few months but the plastic pegs are easily pushed back into place.

I was going to mention home stereo speakers and stopping by pawn shops as they always have stereos, one might find a very high quality speaker or pair for cheap. Just make sure you test them before you spend money/take home. The great thing about typical home stereo speakers is they can produce thunderous bass, the R8 in wide synchro mode on a clean cuban jazz bcast and the Nova-15 would rock the house.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 0153 UTC »

Lol I always wondered what model mine was! I got it in the late 80s and have used it on anything I wanted good audio from. Carried from state to state even. The rat shack at 90th and Dodge in Omaha had it by itself on clearance with a bunch of other stuff, it was cheap so didn't hesitate. For some reason the cloth cover thingy likes to walk off the cabinet after a few months but the plastic pegs are easily pushed back into place

I was going to mention home stereo speakers and stopping by pawn shops as they always have stereos, one might find a very high quality speaker or pair for cheap. Just make sure you test them before you spend money/take home. The great thing about typical home stereo speakers is they can produce thunderous bass, the R8 in wide synchro mode on a clean cuban jazz bcast and the Nova-15 would rock the house.

I KNEW I should've hung on to those Sansui's !

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 0911 UTC »
If you want to rock the house with tunes from say, WTWW or WRMI, just about any
of the suggestions would be a vast improvement over the built-in speaker.
Otherwise, if DX is your objective, headphones are the way to go.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 1153 UTC »
Yaesu and Kenwood knock out good external speakers for their top of the line base stations, using the external speaker for my FT-1000D on the Icom R75 with great results, manual filtering options on front of the Yaesu speaker are an added bonus too...works great! 8)

Yes, the R75 inbuilt speaker leaves a lot to be desired, hence the above move.
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 1753 UTC »
I consider the built in speakers of hf rigs to be nothing more than test or emergency use only equipment. Most external speakers made by Ikensue, Yaekencom, or whoever have all sucked in my opinion, mostly due to the limited bandwidths designed into the speaker. They look nice as they match the gear but they're made for voice work, not hi fidelity.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns